The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Injector insulators

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goalieman24

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2003
Westminster, Maryland
Just ordered new lower injector seals(http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=2069&) to put on the rebuilt longblock, but they don't seem to fit right. They are just rubber donut shape, while the stock one that I managed to pull out(right in pictures) is a different shape and seem to hold the injector better.
Do I just need to "encourage" the injectors in a little more or is it something else?
Thanks

Attachments

• P1050243.JPG
    P1050243.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 176
  • P1050242.JPG
    P1050242.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 195
Well, they fit in the ports on the intake manifold nicely. But as you can see(kinda), they are just flat. They don't have the shape that the other ones did to "cradle" the injectors.

goalieman24 said:
Well, they fit in the ports on the intake manifold nicely. But as you can see(kinda), they are just flat. They don't have the shape that the other ones did to "cradle" the injectors.

I'm not sure if the 1g and 2g insulators are different. If not, the new ones I got from the dealer for my 2g two weeks ago look like your new ones.

Mine weren't very snug on the injectors or the "socket" in the head, and I was a bit perplexed as to how they would seal well considering how the fuel rail is bolted to the head and at such a small torque spec, but after I replaced them, I didn't have a boost leak (I changed them to fix a boost leak).

Do your old insulators look like they were manufactured that way or perhaps they were smashed into that shape perhaps by accident in the past?

kenamond said:
Mine weren't very snug on the injectors or the "socket" in the head, and I was a bit perplexed as to how they would seal well considering how the fuel rail is bolted to the head and at such a small torque spec, but after I replaced them, I didn't have a boost leak (I changed them to fix a boost leak).

Do your old insulators look like they were manufactured that way or perhaps they were smashed into that shape perhaps by accident in the past?

Yea.. it crossed my mind that the other ones became "fitted" over time through all the heat cycles. But they do seem like they are manufactured that way... I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out anything.

If you say you had the same fitment issue but they ended up sealing fine, I guess they should work after all. Thanks for the help

goalieman24 said:
Yea.. it crossed my mind that the other ones became "fitted" over time through all the heat cycles. But they do seem like they are manufactured that way... I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out anything.

If you say you had the same fitment issue but they ended up sealing fine, I guess they should work after all. Thanks for the help

My old ones looked just like my new ones, but they were hard like plastic, whereas the new ones are rubber (they say that they slowly convert to plastic over time and start to leak). Don't know why yours are a different shape.

goalieman24 said:
They ended up surrounding the injectors pretty well... but now another question

I also got these fuel rail spacers(http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.p...8&PHPSESSID=e1293145f2792aa94ceebb8b8412c118), but they don't seem to fit quite right either. When I put them in, they seem to big... they keep the fuel rail too far away and the injectors can't seal in the head. Any thoughts to this one?

That's what mine looked like, but keep in mind it's a 2g (I make no claim as to whether or not a 1g is the same, because I just don't know).

With all of this stuff not looking like the stock stuff, are you sure you have a stock fuel rail?

Which car are you working on, since there are two different ones in your gallery?
Those parts are correct for a 4G63 with Bosch/Lucas/Denso style injectors and a factory fuel rail but not for a 420A found in the 2g GS.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back