The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hard Shaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm92gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2012
Nampa, Idaho
92 gsx
all stock except wheels
163k ish miles
17" wheels

So I had my front tires replaced by a local tire shop that swapped the old tires with the "new" used ones and also said they "balanced" them and then put them on. I noticed this happening after the day they got put on.

So driving on the freeway doing 65 mph and my steering wheel starts pretty violently shaking. I can also feel my wheels shaking durin this time. Slowed down to 55 mph and heald the gas, same issue. Went above 65 mph and same issue. So basically from 50-55 mph it happens. Once below this speed it's very lightly happening. It shakes so bad that the whole car is affected. Now when this happens it occurs for 2-4 seconds, then stops for 5-10 seconds, then happens again for 2-4 seconds and so on.

So I jacked up the front drivers side today and shook the wheel and could feel it wiggle back and forth. This is probably the violent shake of the wheels I can feel on the front end.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Tried searching the forums but found multiple possibilities so I am trying to narrow it down if possible.

When you jacked it up did you look at anything under there. Check the nuts on the control arms, lug nuts (sounds dumb i know). Theres a bolt that runs through the back of the control arm, check that. Check the tire rods. If you can check out your bushings. make sure none of them have come apart. Is it on one side or both?

I call it 'unbalanced tires'.

Head to Les Schuabs and have them check the balancing, for you could have a bent wheel, an out of round tire, or similar.

I don't think it's any problem with the suspension since you didn't mention any problems prior to the change.

Good luck - DSM

Thanks for the info guys. I have not yet checked the passenger side but will probably do that today.

As far as the "wiggle" goes, it is side to side. Yeah I'm thinking I will see if Les Schwab can take a look at it.

Had this exact problem with my laser, balljoint was shot. Just jack it up and wiggle your wheel up down side to side while watching your balljoint and tie rod end

just to let everyone know this is resolved. I ended up replacing all 4 tires with new Falken's. No more shaking! definitely was unbalanced tires. Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back