The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Engine shaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds to me like something else is the issue. Was it shaking before the mount replacement? And to answer your question any aftermarket mount you buy will more than likely increase vibration because almost all of them are for performance not comfort.

So if your engine was shaking violently before replacing the mounts, your title is completely misleading. That being said, has anything been done to the engine recently like maintenance? How long has this been going on? Did anything major happen right before the shaking started?

Did reinstalling your intake make the shaking go away, or di you put it back on because the shaking loosened it up?

I believe I missed the first signs when I had replaced my clutch a couple days later the bolts came out and then I figured I did something wrong so I replaced it again my car was working fine and then I had the intake come loose and in trying to diagnose the vacuum leak my clutch cam loose again... So I'm gonna completely rebuild the car or sell it I'm picking up an 03 3g Friday

That was my first guess that I made the mistake so when I replaced it again I made sure they were torqued and that's when my intake started unbolting and shortly after the clutch again... Surely a cylinder one misfire cannot be causing that much

That was my first guess that I made the mistake so when I replaced it again I made sure they were torqued and that's when my intake started unbolting and shortly after the clutch again... Surely a cylinder one misfire cannot be causing that much

No, you're right, a simple misfire would never cause vibration on that scale. My guess is there may be a severe imbalance along the rotating assembly. My current eclipse is the first 420a powered one I've owned since '05, so I'm not as familiar with them as i am the 4g63's, but they should be relatively similar.

You sure the firing order is right? And if it's shaking that bad to vibrate the clutch bolts loose. There has to be some major issue going on either ignition or fuel, related. Any cell on? Could be a bad o2 sensor.

I'm not saying you're wrong in any sort of way, but I really don't think an ignition, fuel, or O2 related issue would cause shaking on the level the OP has described. I've been wrong before, and have no issue admitting that, but for it to shake loose something that's been torqued as much as the clutch, I don't see it. But if you happen to be correct, then that would be awesome, and a first for me hearing those items could cause this.

EDIT: Firing order could always be something, but it'd be pretty hard to mess up a 420a's firing order.

Last edited:
I'm saying if it's shaking that bad to loosen flywheel bolts something is majorly off. Check your motor mounts and bushings around the subframe. I can't say what it is. I would get on fixing it sounds like it's doing some damage. Did someone do work on the engine? Check the harmonic balancer could be coming apart.

Im having this problem as well in my 95 auto tsi. The shaking only occurs when I go above 130 km/hr (i live in Canada) and it seems to involve a thumping noise when I press on the gas, almost like something is spinning & causing the shaking & thumping. When I slow down though it stops. I have had my driveshaft support bearings already replaced but the shaking & thumping noise still happens.

He says it only shakes at a stand still if i read that correctly. Im starting to think it could be your TPS (throttle position sensor) but then again i never seen a TPS shake an engine violently. Did you guys mess with the timing belt at all? Is there anyway to show us a video?

So if your engine was shaking violently before replacing the mounts, your title is completely misleading. That being said, has anything been done to the engine recently like maintenance? How long has this been going on? Did anything major happen right before the shaking started?

Did reinstalling your intake make the shaking go away, or di you put it back on because the shaking loosened it up?
Spyderdrifter. Its good to see you still get on since i last left the DSM scene. Are you still part of that "spyders only" group you started a few years back on this forum? I forgot all about it till i saw your post again

Spyderdrifter. Its good to see you still get on since i last left the DSM scene. Are you still part of that "spyders only" group you started a few years back on this forum? I forgot all about it till i saw your post again

I forgot all about that, so no I guess. I actually sold my spyder last month, sadly, and now I'm dealing with a 99 Oz Edition with a bad auto trans that I can't seem to get to work right.

I forgot all about that, so no I guess. I actually sold my spyder last month, sadly, and now I'm dealing with a 99 Oz Edition with a bad auto trans that I can't seem to get to work right.
Damn that sucks. I could of probably bought it from u. Whats wrong with your tranny

Did you do anything with the flywheel when you did the clutch? Did you get it resurfaced or did you replace it? Or did you just leave it in the car and just do a new clutch set?

Last edited:
This is funny. The engine shakes and intake falls off and pressure plate bolts come loose. Is this a joke? WTF? Make a video of this I would like to see something funny before I go to sleep.

Honestly from reading all these posts I would think it's more that the flywheel is the culprit if it is slightly bent it would cause a lot of vibration I really don't think a Harmon would cause that much vibration

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back