The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Engine shaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn. It sounda likr the owner before you uses the wrong atf and destroyed your clutch packs. Thats why u have to rev it high just to get any engagement. I would just recommend a manual swap. Where do u live im down to help if your in the same state

Well, I do believe the wrong fluid was used by the PO. I also ended up using the wrong atf when I replaced the torque convertor, but I was using what the owner's manual stated. Didn't know at the time that ATF+4 was the only atf to use. But it's got that now, and it seems ok in the forward gears, but reverse barely works. My best guess is either the solenoid pack needs a rebuild (or just a new one), the atf is still at the wrong level, or something else I can't even see. When I replaced the trans pump,I did take the time to inspect the gear sets and clutch discs. Everything looked good. I was surprised to see that since I did have one dtc saying there was mechanical failure. But, it looks like the manual conversion may happen. I still live down in Springs btw.

Well, I do believe the wrong fluid was used by the PO. I also ended up using the wrong atf when I replaced the torque convertor, but I was using what the owner's manual stated. Didn't know at the time that ATF+4 was the only atf to use. But it's got that now, and it seems ok in the forward gears, but reverse barely works. My best guess is either the solenoid pack needs a rebuild (or just a new one), the atf is still at the wrong level, or something else I can't even see. When I replaced the trans pump,I did take the time to inspect the gear sets and clutch discs. Everything looked good. I was surprised to see that since I did have one dtc saying there was mechanical failure. But, it looks like the manual conversion may happen. I still live down in Springs btw.
Nice, the best part is that your close to jackstransmission. And i say a manual conversion would be better. If your interested i have a FWD transmission just laying around sincei did the awd conversion on my spyder

As great as that would be, I can't use your transmission. I have a GS now, sold my spyder a few months ago (unfortunately) and I even have it's old fwd trans sitting in storage, but can't use it. And I won't do business with Jack's Transmissions.

That would be awesome. I did find someone parting out a red Talon on craigslist and sent 2 emails just to get no reply. Thanks again.

My car ended up here after the transmission locked up while I was heading to work. Once I finally slowed down and managed to stop, I couldn't push the car (yes, it was in neutral and parking brake off). Once a friend showed up to help, it wouldn't even move well with her pushing with her truck... so I'm done with this auto trans.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
That would be awesome. I did find someone parting out a red Talon on craigslist and sent 2 emails just to get no reply. Thanks again.

My car ended up here after the transmission locked up while I was heading to work. Once I finally slowed down and managed to stop, I couldn't push the car (yes, it was in neutral and parking brake off). Once a friend showed up to help, it wouldn't even move well with her pushing with her truck... so I'm done with this auto trans.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Just yesterday i helped an older couple move their car. Apperently the same thing happen. Her car was stuck in the middle of the highway. You can get in a terrible accident with that.

Attachments

• IMG-20170715-WA0054.jpeg
    IMG-20170715-WA0054.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 50
Just yesterday i helped an older couple move their car. Apperently the same thing happen. Her car was stuck in the middle of the highway. You can get in a terrible accident with that.

Luckily for me, I could feel my car having issues and decided to get off the highway, and then it stopped at the bottom of the off ramp. Had so many people come up behind me and honked to get me to move. This was at 10 at night, and there was no way they couldn't see my hazard lights flashing. Still had to wave these idiots around me. Not a single person stopped or asked if I needed help. So you sir, are one of the considerate few. Glad you were able to help someone in need. There's not enough people like that any more.

The intake manifold having a leak could very easily be the issue here allowing it to receive unmetered air. I've seen it before on a number of engines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back