The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

wont drive in D

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napkinthief

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Cliffside park, New_Jersey
Ok i got a problem, this has been happening a little since it got cold, but now its more and more down to at least twice a day. When I shift frmo P,R, or N to D. The car wont move and it will free rev to around 3200 rpm, then catch and jump forward. Whats going on? Sometimes it catches before I rev, but I can feel it catch too. When braking hard, I can feel it downshift. Is my tranny going to blow up?

napkinthief said:
Ok i got a problem, this has been happening a little since it got cold, but now its more and more down to at least twice a day. When I shift frmo P,R, or N to D. The car wont move and it will free rev to around 3200 rpm, then catch and jump forward. Whats going on? Sometimes it catches before I rev, but I can feel it catch too. When braking hard, I can feel it downshift. Is my tranny going to blow up?

First thing to do is get the car to operating temp, park it on a level surface, set the emergancy brake, put the car in neutral and then go check the A/T fluid level while the car is running. Also check the color of the fluid, it should be a nice redish/pink color, if it is brown it's shot. Also smell the fluid, if it smells like burnt wood this it's shot.

If the fluid looks/smells OK, but the level is low top it off with new A/T fluid. If the fluid is bad then go buy yourself a new tranny filter and drain the trans and re-fill with new fluid. Also check the drain plug for metal shavings, it should be slightly magnetic catching some small metal flakes floating in the fluid passing it. This will tell you if you have bigger problems.

Try that stuff first, if all esle fails take it to IPT in Wayne tell John, that Brad from DSMtuners told you to contact him, for a checkup on your trans.. John is woth every dollar you would spend there. His work it second to none!!

OK i just let the car idle for 15 minutes and checked the tranny fluid, its almost empty...WTF? I haven;t checked it in a while, over 4 months, because everytime i checked it before that it was always good. It did smell like burned wood.

Going to change up my filter and tranny fluid friday, its my only day off of the week.

Which fluid is the best for auto?

napkinthief said:
OK i just let the car idle for 15 minutes and checked the tranny fluid, its almost empty...WTF? I haven;t checked it in a while, over 4 months, because everytime i checked it before that it was always good. It did smell like burned wood.

Going to change up my filter and tranny fluid friday, its my only day off of the week.

Which fluid is the best for auto?

Buy this and get a case of it, you'll need it...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Amsoil Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back