The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

What causes Boost creep??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreddyGst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2004
San Pablo, California
I almost positive i have boost creep, my gauge reads 25+psi when I WOT. I have read the threads about boost creeping and thanks to OLDMAN I plan to port the turbine (turbo inlet & area of the flapper). I heard that what causes the boost creep is the 3" exhaust system we put in our cars... I too have 3"catback exhaust / 3" test pipe / 3" Downpipe... What I don't understand is why don't turbo manufactures port it to the point where there won't be any boost creeping even if you put a 3" exhaust system? or is there a problem if they port it and you use stock exhaust? I'm not gonna drive my car for a while till I take out the turbo and port, but could someone explain why the exhaust makes my car boost creep and solving it with a port job?
Thanks for any help.

GreddyGst said:
but could someone explain why the exhaust makes my car boost creep and solving it with a port job?
Creep is caused by the exhaust flow path outflowing the wastegate flow path. And that happens when the size of the exhaust flow path is too efficient or when the wastegate flow path is too inefficient.

A 3" turbo-back exhaust raises it's efficiency so that can sometimes cause creep. And a small and unported turbine housing/wastegate flow path can also lead to creep; thats why porting it can help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back