The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

weird TPS reading and limp mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
so i was testing my tps to see if its good (tranny limp mode) anyways i tested it via haynes manual, i set the closed resistance to .9 (then tightened it) but when i set the throttle body all the way open i was getting 4.2-4.3k resistance. i know its supposed to be 5k but would that contribute to my tranny going into limp mode? also when i would be setting the tps id get it set to just around .9 but i barely tap it and it will jump to 1.7k or so. what im asking is this telltale signs of a bad TPS ?

Your tcu is probably bad causing limp mode. Another thing with the tps, a bad tcu can screw with your tps readings. The tps circuit somehow runs through the tcu and if it's bad can make the tps act like a bad one. It happened to me once and I replaced 2 tps sensors before I figured out it was the tcu.

Your tcu is probably bad causing limp mode. Another thing with the tps, a bad tcu can screw with your tps readings. The tps circuit somehow runs through the tcu and if it's bad can make the tps act like a bad one. It happened to me once and I replaced 2 tps sensors before I figured out it was the tcu.

Wait a second! The ecu and tcu do not communicate. The tcu gets all its information from the tps, the vss (speedo), tach, and throttle position switch (on/of switch on the throttle body closest to the firewall. .green wire)

I would pull the tcu plug and set the tps. It's tied into the ecu and the tcu. Then report back.

i test my TPS with the throttle body removed and not plugged into the car. im just reading direct resistance from the TPS prongs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back