The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

valve float?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac 108

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee
I have a 91 GST with a refurbished head with less than 5k miles on it. When it is revved to about 6k RPM it makes a noise and the middle of the timing belt raises. The timing is supposedly off according to the local dealership, but my pop thinks it may be valve float in addition to our timing problem. We are going to check the timing this weekend and figure that out, but it does make a bad noise around the 6k mark. Its hard to describe, but it sounds bad, almost like a grind. Any ideas?

Defiant said:
DSMs don't float valves at any RPM you'll be seeing.

How so? The timing on the cams may be off

mac 108 said:
How so? The timing on the cams may be off
Insufficient valvetrain mass, mild acceleration/deceleration ramps, moderate lift values. None of which change in the slightest regardless of where they're timed.
Of course, far enough off, and you bend valves.

I agree with Defiant. You will not float your valves at 6k.

Take off timing belt cover and check your tensioners. I can almost guarantee that is your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back