The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Valve Float???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclone_90

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2005
Plainfield, Indiana
Hey guys I just bought a set of 272 cams and I was wondering if my stock springs will be ok. The specs on it are 272/272 duration and .400/.385 lift, it says it will make power to 7,200 rpms but I was wondering with this cam when will I start valve floating?? Thanks for any help

People on here will say that using these cams with stock valvetrain is ok, just dont over-do it!! I have the 272 exh cam, i've hit the rev limiter several times with stock valves, and no piston or valve smack. Just dont be an idiot and you'll be fine...

i think most people will say that upgrading to better valve springs would be a good idea to be safe and to better the performance of the cams.

Yeah I just don't have another 350 to go get springs and I am planing on reving to 7k only. I mean hell with springs I could probabaly rev to 9 grand and my motor would just :D. So would it be ok if I just rev to 7k??

slider85 said:
i think most people will say that upgrading to better valve springs would be a good idea to be safe and to better the performance of the cams.

So true, but that wasnt the question ROFL I agree with you 100%

Cyclone_90 said:
I mean hell with springs I could probabaly rev to 9 grand and my motor would just :D.
Assuming you didn't snap your rod bolts, yes.

Cyclone_90 said:
Naw I got ARP everything
Well, there you go. :D I'm not sure how the stock rods do a 9K, but I'd imagine you'd be good based on your modlist. I made the mistake of assuming you were stock. :coy:

psychlow said:
Well, there you go. :D I'm not sure how the stock rods do a 9K, but I'd imagine you'd be good based on your modlist. I made the mistake of assuming you were stock. :coy:

LOL its cool man. Ok so what you guys are says is I should be ok if I don't go around over reving (past 7k) but better springs would be a good idea.

Well it looks like I am going to go ahead and get some crower springs just to be safe. Might as well do it right the first time, ya know... Thanks for all your input guys :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back