The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission won't go into gear at random times! PLEASE HELP!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBoosh3712

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2003
Clemson and Simpsonville, South_CarolinaUS
Hey guys. I have a slight problem. Ever since I've had my car, every 3 or 4 month, I will run into an occasion where I come to a stop (at a light or stop sign) and when I try to put it into gear again, it won't go into gear at all. (Any gear for that matter) It feels like there is some sort of blockage, it won't allow me in gear, and if i apply a lot of force the gears grind. The only way to solve it is to turn the car off, put it into gear, then turn the car back on. While it hasn't bothered me much, this has happened to me twice in the past 2 days. What could it be? I have no shifting problem whatsoever other then that. The tranny shifts smoothly when driving and such. It's just when I come to a stop, sometimes the car won't go into any gear at all. I turn the car off, put it into the desired gear, turn the car back on then everything is fine and dandy again and the tranny shifts fine. Any ideas? I really need to figure this out guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would check the gear oil level, and check to see if the clutch needs to be bled. See if those 2 things help and let us know. :thumb:
Mike

Try checking your shifter plate and the bracket that holds your shifter cables to you tranny. I know in my '91 that front bracket came unbolted and I wasn't able to properly get into any gear.

Other than that it may be bad shifter cables or worn synchros

Can't be worn synchronizers because if that was the case, then it would be consistent. The tranny shifts smoothly through all the gears all the other times this problem doesn't occur. Not all 5 of my synchronizers would stop working on me suddenly. I believe something is not on right or is out of place.

Also, The fluid I have in there is about 4000 miles old. It did this problem with the old fluid as well, so type and amount of fluid is not the issue here.

BigBoosh3712 said:
Can't be worn synchronizers because if that was the case, then it would be consistent. The tranny shifts smoothly through all the gears all the other times this problem doesn't occur. Not all 5 of my synchronizers would stop working on me suddenly. I believe something is not on right or is out of place.

Also, The fluid I have in there is about 4000 miles old. It did this problem with the old fluid as well, so type and amount of fluid is not the issue here.
So then that puts you back to bleeding the clutch or a possible worn clutch. Is the clutch new or used?
Mike

A worn clutch wouldn't cause this to happen, actually a worn clutch would cause the complete opposite to happen. This seems like a shifter cable or shift fork problem. But, if it helps any, it's a stock clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back