The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Swapping motors, question about conflicting parts/transmission compatability

Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gtuner1G

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2004
Uhrichsville, Ohio
I have a 1990 awd 6bolt that I am preparing to swap into my 1992 awd 6bolt and was wondering if anything had to be transfered over that may be different and cause some problems? Can someone tell me if it will work as a direct swap in or will something like the cam sensor need changed over or anything like that? also will using the transmission and transfer case from the 1990 conflict with the 4 bolt rear end in the 1992?

you are gonna need to use the 91+ throttle body, coilpack, cas. i think that should be it. those are the things that were diff between the years minus the ecu. oh and the tranny will work but you will need to put 90 shiftlinkage in it. i would recommend that if possible find a 92-94 tranny. they have the beefier internals and they arent as hard to find parts for. good luck w/ your swap

uhh -
he will have to retain all his 90 sensors - using 91-94 sensors would require alot of
re-wiring

from what i can tell he is putting a 90 motor in a 92 car, if this is true the he will need to swap over the things i mentioned earlier.its a lot easier to take a couple of peices off and replace them then it is to swap harnesses and make it work. poster please correct us if we are wrong

Yeah that is correct the 1990 motor and tranny is going into the 1992. I heard also that the o2 sensor has to be swapped over.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back