The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Swapped out 7bolts, what is this missing connection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxunderground

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I am a 420a N/T guy but I can pull and swap just about any engine you throw at me. With that being said, I'm in the dark when I do other jobs relying on manuals and web forums mainly for misc. details. Thats what I need today, some details.

I pieced together a 7 bolt for a friend and dropped it in for him got the car running fine, all is well. One thing bothers me though. There are two harness portions coming from behind the timing belt, one I assumed was the CAS and the other something similar. I hooked up the wiring harness and the harness in the car only connected to one (the triangle) part of the harness, the upper gray rectangle one had no mate.

I looked at the cut harness that came with the donor engine and it DID have the gray connector on the harness. What am I dealing with here? I was told the engine came from the same year gst (99), yet the harness is obviously not the same.

So Car has one CAS wire connector, donor engine has 2, fill me in on the knowledge gap here.

No sir it does not. That plug he is looking for or found rather goes to an emissions component. The one I'm looking at is coming from what looks to be a sensor just below the intake camshaft.

Just trying to clear up why this item has no mate to the 99 engine wiring harness, yet the harness that came with the donor engine (cut from donor car) has a mate.

For some reason 2ga's have 2 sets of emissions equipment on the firewall where-as my later 2g 99 BTW has only 1 let me dig up a few pics and I'll get back to you

This is a 99 Emissions System Pic

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and This is I think any other year 2g emissions pic

95 and 96 years have a cam and crank sensor on the t belt side one square and one triangle plug check the vins like i said you can also look under the intake cam gear for a sensor if it has one its a 95/96 head for sure

The triangular plug next to the timing cover belongs to the Crankshaft Position Sensor..(I need to replace mine LOL) The rectangle plug is probably the 95-95 style Cam Angle Sensor, which is found under the intake cam sprocket on the drivers side of the motor....For a 99 the it uses a different Cam Angle Sensor that is on the passenger side of the motor...similair to 1g style here is a 2g pic from my 99....

Here is 95-96 Style CAS

The donor engine is from who knows what year now. The actual car is a 99 GST. According to your information there should only be one crank angle sensor. So does that mean this engine could have been built with a new head before we got it?

Guy said the engine was from JSPEC, not familiar with them.

And just to be clear. The head on this car has a CAS on the passenger side, just like the 99 picture above, also, SAME HEAD has a sensor behind the intake cam also as shown in the picture.

As stated above it is a 95-96 head....but somebody added the cam angle sensor to the head from the 99....and left the original 95-96 CAS in place...I wouldnt worry bout it as long as the bolt that connects the 97-99 CAS to the intake came is tight and in place...May want to check that out though.....

1g CAS's bolt to the head and you just need to line up the little arms on the CAS....very easy
97-99 CAS's bolt to the head and then bolt to the Cam....I hope somebody didnt just throw it in there...

Here is a pic of what the 97-99 CAS should be at at TDC...

I mean the car is running fine. I put it together for him and installed it based on his 99. (which had a nice large window in the front and rear of the block)

I just couldn't tell him why it was there. He was worried because he had gotten boned on the first engine replacement. He drove 4hrs to pick up an engine in middle Tennessee that was supposed to be a 99 7bolt and ended up with a 6bolt. He didn't know to look at the flywheel to see six or seven bolts. Then this next engine he was told was a 99 7bolt w/low miles. Turns out I guess that its a 95, go figure. Shady DSMers in this region.

At least he's got a spare 6bolt and another spare 6bolt bottom end and 7bolt head. I'm sure we can work up a useable spare here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back