1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

stock radio doesnt pick up FM only AM

Posted by Fifty, May 4, 2005

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Fifty

Fifty Probationary Member

Joined Mar 11, 2005
    santa ana, California
    ok so the attena got messed up and it doesnt go up or down anymore. so i took it in and they got a new attena and fixed it. now it goes up when i switch to am or fm radio and goes down when i turn it off. but it still doesnt pick up FM only AM. this also happened when the attena was broken. i took it and they said that the tuner was messed up and would cost about 100-120 to fix and it happens on like 90% of this model of eclipse. i have a fm transmitter thing for my ipod i use in the 4runner. i hooked it up to the eclipse and turn the volume on the ipod and the stereo all the way and i could hear music but very bad quality compare to my 4runner. it still plays cd and AM.

anyone know what is wrong? im thinking that the attena needs to be check for wiring but if it does then why it can pick up AM? if the tuner is broken then should it not pick up the fm transmitter from the ipod? :confused:

2. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Yeh, the stock radio? Grab another off eBay. With patience, you can find one for less than $50. Or, upgrade to something newer.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. shadow1

shadow1 Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2003
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    My stock Infinity head unit lost FM reception a few years ago. Not worth fixing. A new stock head unit is over $900. I now have an Alpine head unit that plays MP3's. I even bought the DIN cable to interface with the stock Infinity amp.

4. Talesin

Talesin Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2005
    Burbank, California
    That or your car has rejected the iPuck, having far more style than to be seen driving around with one. :D

5. Mack

Mack Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I would pick up a new Pioneer or JVC bottom of the line head unit, add a cable and install kit, and it should be about $120. If you can scrounge up more cash, you can add the features you want: ipod capability, mp3, better tuner, better built in eq, higher voltage preout, better DAC.....................goes on and on.

6. shadow1

shadow1 Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2003
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    Install kit is unnecessary. Just reuse the factory DIN mounts and order the pocket (under $20) that goes under the stereo like in the lower line Eclipse's. I tried a Metra install kit but the plastic mounts were cheesy and brittle. It also did not fit well. The metal OEM brackets make the install very secure and clean and perfect. Get a wiring harness adapter and the Infinity amp interface cable (optional) and you are set. The main 4 speakers (doors, back seat) in DSM's are dual wired. If you use the speaker leads off the standard harness, the head unit amp will provide the power. You will lose the dash tweeters though. If you leave the speaker leads unconnected and get the interface cable, then you will use the RCA pre-outs on the aftermarket head unit to drive the factory amp. The factory amp puts out roughly 25 watts/channel RMS which is cleaner than the peak power ratings on most aftermarket head units.