1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Stock 4' speakers in 1g

Posted by triggerx, Sep 12, 2012

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Are they worth keeping? Ive already replaced every other speaker, but havent messed with the 4 speakers in the dash.
    Apparently they are 4t in terms of size, which im not familiar with at all, will a 4' work in there at all?
    Technically theyre still good, but id imagine I could get much better quality speaker in there, anybody recommend one? Hopefully one that mounts just as well as the stock ones.

2. dkalfop

dkalfop Proven Member

Joined May 1, 2012
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    This is a good question. First are you using an amplifier? Well if you are then you might want to change them because the might blow and have a crackling sound when you turn up the volume. In my 1g I have my amp hooked up to the 6x9's in the back seat area and the door speakers. I had to build out the door speakers to put quility Fosgate's in. The stock speakers are a joke compared to the new technology out there. If you have changed the others, change those.

353  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    I think i went with alpines iirc front and back. Bought at best buy(paid too much).
    Remember: the wattage rating means absolutely sh**. If a speaker is really high quality, it requires less current to make the same dB of sound as a sh** one that will draw more current. If you put in a set that costs 50 bucks, you might want an amp to power it. If you go with a very nice set, the head unit(aftermarket im assuming) will be plenty loud believe me.

4. boarderlib

boarderlib Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2011
    Rittman, Ohio
    I replaced all my speakers, including the dash speakers with Pioneers. I have a Rockford amp pushing my 6x9's in the back, and use the radio power on the door and dash speakers. Not meaning to toot my own horn, but mine sounds A LOT better with everything replaced. I have ran it without the amp and 6x9's, just the door and dash speakers. It sounded ok. There wasn't much bass, but how much bass can one expect out of a 4" and a 6" inch speaker. Ya know?

My 2 cents is it is well worth replacing those 2 little booger speakers. It adds a nice amount of highs, and helps with the mids.

369  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  5. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks for the replies, so will pretty much any 4' speaker actually mount up front or will there be fitment issues?

6. boarderlib

boarderlib Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2011
    Rittman, Ohio
    I can't attest to anything but the Pioneers, and I don't recall having any fit issues. As I recall though the GSX came with a Pioneer speakers originally anyways.

369  0

· 1G DSM
  7. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I gotcha, thats pretty much what Im running now, 6 1/2 door speakers, 6x9 in the rears. ALll pioneers.
    Custom mounted tweeters in the door panel. And 2 8s and a 10 in my custom sub box.

I want to try a set of these,
    Pyle PL42BL Blue Label 4" Coaxial Speaker Pair 267-078

8. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Proven Member

Joined Jan 16, 2008
    Wisconsin, Wisconsin
    22 year old speakers are always good...Take the speakers out,thats weight reduction.

4K  18  14

13.300 @ 102.400 · 1G DSM
  9. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Yeah i feel ya, Im just not taking that route with this car. If i was worried about weight reduction I wouldnt have those useless rear seats still in the back, a seized up a/c condenser, and a sub box that takes 2 people to lift out the car.
    Its got some get up tho, but Im basically just looking to upgrade everthing thats stock on this car, and still keep that stock feeling. Im applying that approach to the engine, interior and the exterior.
    However i still want to modernize the car somewhat in terms of luxuries.

10. MITSUMURDOK

MITSUMURDOK Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2005
    Newburgh, New York
    Those little dash speakers do make a difference. I was running 6 1/2 JL components in the door (amped-flush mounted tweets in the door panel) and 6x9 Pioneers in the back (running off the deck) along with the subs and it sounded great--never planned on using the dash speakers. I got a set of 4" Kicker speakers off my friend for free, so I put them in (powered by the deck) and they made everything sound much fuller. I love the way my 1g sounds now...one day I hope I can make my 2g sound that good.

Street Build 529  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

478  6

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM