The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Spark plug wires for 11s and faster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittay

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Just curious what you guys running 11s or faster are running for plug wires.

After swapping out the Accels that were dying for the NGK, we noticed a huge difference. The car was sputtering terribly from the wires. The NGKs got rid of the stutter, but it doesn't pull in the top end.

I saw the thread on the OHMs/ ft and the MSD/ Accel were pretty good.

So what are you guys using for wires and also, what do you shift with? Has anyone else had problems with higher HP and higher RPMs with certain wires?

Kittay, I'm not 11's or faster, but I bought some 10mm magnacore wires from greengoblin (Kevin) and he made like 550whp with them. That should be 11's or faster, even with a shatty driver mod LOL.

Kittay, I'm not 11's or faster, but I bought some 10mm magnacore wires from greengoblin (Kevin) and he made like 550whp with them. That should be 11's or faster, even with a shatty driver mod LOL.

Wtf happened to you.. I keep texting you and you never write me back :(

I can weld some for you. :boring:

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!! But make the spark plug covers first, that'll make it even faster!!
And thanks for the VC :)

MSD's here, the car definitely had low 11's in it. Before it broke it trapped 122 on a rough tune (below 11:1 AFR) with no timing advance on pump gas.

Using NGK's here. 117mph pump gas 3400lbs, stock ignition.

MSD's here, the car definitely had low 11's in it. Before it broke it trapped 122 on a rough tune (below 11:1 AFR) with no timing advance on pump gas.

What setup are you running?

And I'd rather not do COP, personally I feel the 1g coilpack is a pretty good setup. If anything the CDI dynatec system looks awesome, but that's a bit out of the price range :)

absolute_dsm said:
Good call, I might design one up right now to take in tomorrow.

And yea, your car is that much faster with that VC!
That would be pretty awesome!! Do it!!

Slowgsr, what setup are you running?

Since this subject, as most on this forum, have been beaten to hell, through china, and are halfway to the moon by now, and you FAIL TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON I will shed the light on the answer that you seek

An OEM ignition system is good for 10 second 1/4 miles, but I would recommend NGK plug wires to couple to NGK plugs.

Since this subject, as most on this forum, have been beaten to hell, through china, and are halfway to the moon by now, and you FAIL TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON I will shed the light on the answer that you seek

An OEM ignition system is good for 10 second 1/4 miles, but I would recommend NGK plug wires to couple to NGK plugs.

I did search and didn't find specifically what I was asking. Maybe you didn't read my first post.

I had problems with the NGK, and the Accel that are on the last limb were pulling harder on top end then my brand new NGK.

I personally swear by talor plug wires. They seem to work better and last a lot longer than any others I have used.

Taylor Cable 77632 - Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets - summitracing.com

Thanks for the link! Also, I was checking out the Taylor wires and was curious- what are the benefits of the 10.5mm over 8.2mm other then arcing issues?

***** What is everyone shifting at as well with the wires? The NGKs seem great, til the higher RPM, that's when they seem to start losing power.

Setup is in profile, but the CN's are BJ's ported head (probably the last one he did before dropping off the face of the earth), 8.3:1 Wisecos on Eagles, 264/272 HKS cams, 3052, DSMLink, DV/DT Fab FMIC (Which I think is a huge advantage when compared to other FMICs out there, though I have nothing to prove it with), 3" TBE. Run was on 23psi shifting at 8k I think, though it may have been 7.5k

Plug wires aren't going to make you "pull harder" or "make more power". All that a good set of wires are going to do is keep your car from having ignition break up from spark blow out over a poor set of wires. So if you're not getting blow out, your wires are not going to be influencing your power curve.

You need to work on your fuel and or timing curve.

Plug wires aren't going to make you "pull harder" or "make more power". All that a good set of wires are going to do is keep your car from having ignition break up from spark blow out over a poor set of wires. So if you're not getting blow out, your wires are not going to be influencing your power curve.

agreed, they might help a little on a dyno curve but not as much as you might think. I use the NGK's and have had zero problems, i have also used the Magnacore and can't tell a difference.

If they have a poor resistance, wouldn't that make a difference? Esp when you get into the higher RPM.

Too high of a resistance will only cause spark blowout at higher rpms if the spark is not powerful enough to arc.

So again, if you're not getting blowout, you don't need plug wires.
It can also be too weak, where it won't burn everything, leading to a decrease in performance.

A MAF setup will compensate for the majority. Speed density however is going to be effected to a larger degree, having a straight tune.

Running them back to back with no other changes, it was blatantly obvious one was making more power then the other.

I like the NGK Wires, they're simple, cost effecient and I ran an 11.28 at 128mph on them.. Actually getting ready to buy a set for my new talon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back