The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Smoking questions. Turbo leaking???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc Racing

Probationary Member
Mar 16, 2005
Grants Pass, Oregon
OK I am fighting with some smoking problems.Its on a 95 GSX

While driving it seems when I let off the gas it starts to smoke from the tail pipe.
Then the smoking continues for a while then seems to stop until I rev high again.
It seems to mainly do it after the car revs to 3.5k or more.
I am losing oil like mad, 4 qts in a week.
I dont know what to do to it.
I just bought it and dont have alot of cash to have it looked at.
So I am here to see what it might be.

I have searched for help already and found somethings to look at.

I pulled the pipes running to and from the intercooler to look for oil
and they were clean.

I checked the turbo where the pipes to the intercooler attach and played with the
impeller thing, there is some noticeable shaft movement, maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8
of an inch left to right.

I have not been able to do a compression test yet but am going to see if I can borrow
what I need to do it right.

Right before the smoke starts to be noticeable you can really smell it bad before you see it.

This is a used engine the place I bought it from dropped in the to sell the car.
So I know nothing about the engine.

I would appreciate any help I could get on this matter.

What turbo comes stock on a 95 gsx?
What turbo is a direct replacement for the stock unit?

Another question is I am getting horrible gas miliage, there is a S-afc 2 on the car but I dont know if they have it hooked up right or if its even working properly
could this cause a drop in milage or even the smoking?

Last question for now, When you turn you key on does the "check engine" dummy light
come on, like a test for the light.Mine doesnt come on ever so I dont know if its burnt
out or not.

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLY...

turbo seals.. or leaking oil from valve cover, oil line fittings, return oil line, etc.. just check it all

Possible places:

1. Turbo seal. I know you check the cold side already but it can still leak out of the hot side.

2. PCV, how are PCV and breather routed off the valve cover.

3. Valve seals, usually wet/unburnt oil at the intake and exhaust ports of the head once you remove the manifolds.

4. Piston rings, perform a wet and dry compression test.

As for the fuel problem, are you running a safc without a logger? Can't help you here until you complete your profile or provide a complete list of mods.

clogged oil drain on the turbo can cause a back up and the oil to blow by the seals.

as for the safc, if you have no idea if it's hooked up correctly then i would pull it off, and see how that affects the driving. taking it off couldnt hurt you but only give you an advantage to diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for the replys.

Whats is the difference between a wet and dry compression test?

Oldman- I dont know about the pcv but I believe the breather is just a little
filter over the tube....This is the tube on the left side(if facing the engine from the front)
of the vavle cover right?
I am unsure where the pcv is.

mcguiver7- which is the oil drain line on the turbo? would I just pull it and blow it out
to check it?Or should I just replace them if removed?

If it is the turbo oil seals what can I do about that?Is that fixable or would I need to have it
rebuilt?

It looked like there is a large tube/pipe running from the bottom of the turbo
what is that?

Thanks AGAIN.

1 difference between leak down and regular compression test is just the leak down uses compressed air that is forced into your cylinders through the sparkplugs housing and you listen for leaks for ex: hissing noises coming from exhaust/intake mani's, or in oil or bubling coming from your radiator. from that info you can diagnose what your problem is.

2 and you found the oil drain. it is that large pipe coming from the bottom of the turbo, and does a 90 degree bend then bolts to the oilpan.

3 to test to see if it's blocked i would pull it off and blow in it. it's at the bottom of the pan so you would have to end up draining your oil. i would check that hole on the pan too to see if there is anything obstructing the oil's path.

OK I just did the compression test again,
they guys that showed me how to do it didnt hold the throttle open
and the results were pitiful to say the least.
So I got the tool and did it myself.
I missed doing one thing,

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT FOR THE ENGINE TO BE HOT/WARM?????

The instructions I used didnt mention that.

Anyway the results I got were
1- 170 2- 170 3-160 4- 150

Does the engine not being warm negate these results?
Should I do it again?

Thanks All :thumb:

My buddy checked his cold and it was 150,then he checked it warm and it went up to 180. This was on a 1g w/ 95 pistons. I checked my 90 stock cold and it was 140,hot like 142,so it didn't come up like my buddies did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back