The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Side skirts causing rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Widow97

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2010
Oxbow, North_Dakota
Hello all, I took a set of swirl side skirts off my donor car so I can put them on my my '97 TSi. I noticed under the skirts (especially on the driver's side) it was rusting pretty badly. I could probably kick a hole into the drivers side. This is actually the reason it is a donor car now. The car was a daily driven car from Minnesota (bad road salt in the winter). I am wondering if this is a common issue with the 2G's? And also if there is a proven way to prevent it from happening?:hmm: Thanks in advance guys! :hellyeah:

Its an issue with any car that has exposed metal or inadequate rest prevention. The holes behind the skirt were probably exposed to prolonged periods of moisture and rusted. Any exposed metal will create sort of a "corrosive hot spot" that will cause it rust 5-6 times faster than the metal around it, that is properly protected.

The only way to avoid it is to make sure any exposed metal is properly concealed or protected appropriately. Any sound deadening or foam behind the metal will retain moisture, thus acting as a catalyst in advancing the rust process.

well basically any type salt can just sit in between the side skirt and frame..
what you would need to do is possibly every time you wash your car some how get underneath it ...

especially look in the rear wheel well theres a nice little compartment next to the side skirt that likes to build crap there.. the only thing you can do is .. maintain it

I know if my 1g side skirts didn't look so sweet I'd rip them bastards off because I'm having the same problem!!!

I should have added that my 97 will never see winter in my hands. But I am concerned that with washing it (and I wash it frequently) if moisture sits between the skirts and the rocker, it will cause the same problem to develop. My 97 doesn't have any rust right now and I want it to stay that way.

yea... sorry bro its hard.. because where ever sand, salt, soil can get... it will rot away the metal.. its hard.. and i have it but i cant stop it but its recommended to wash it when u can.. id rather have a little soapy water than soil and dirt..

yea... sorry bro its hard.. because where ever sand, salt, soil can get... it will rot away the metal.. its hard.. and i have it but i cant stop it but its recommended to wash it when u can.. id rather have a little soapy water than soil and dirt..

It sure is dude, I want to put those skirts on my car at some point. But if they are going to cause it to rust, I'm thinking F that. Giving my baby cancer is not an option.

woord... also another thing that can help is when you can and have time.. wax the car from time to time.. it helps from oxydation and rust.. also u can spray the area with any rustoleum spray paint or clear... any wd40 or oil type of solution that would prevent the rust.. OR jus dont put it on LOL.. it would look bad a$$ with them on too

woord... also another thing that can help is when you can and have time.. wax the car from time to time.. it helps from oxydation and rust.. also u can spray the area with any rustoleum spray paint or clear... any wd40 or oil type of solution that would prevent the rust.. OR jus dont put it on LOL.. it would look bad a$$ with them on too

For sure dude, It usually gets waxed twice a year, once in the spring when I take her out of storage and once in the fall when I put her up for the winter. It gets washed once a week usually, doesn't matter if I take it for a spin that week or it collects dust in the shop all week. Engine bay stays spotless, and so does the interior. My dad and I have like $150 in cleaning supplies for his Chevelle and my Talon.ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back