The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Serious Problems.... Need HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Milo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2006
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Ok Ive had the car a month and have only driven it about a week. It started out just kinda sputtering and now it wont even start ( the car ran perfectly when I bought it). when I attempt to start it it dies after about a 1/2 of a second, and when it does start I can hear the turbo whining at a much higher pitch than normal and gray smoke starts pouring out the tailpipe. It dies shortly after. I thought it was the turbo going out so I checked it and there was no symptoms of it going bad, everything seemed fine. I then checked the ECU for leaking caps, everything is good there too. the car is completly stock and I am checking for boost leaks tomorrow but would that honestly cause this kind of problem?? also there is a CEL on but I have no logger to check that. What could be wrong???

Hi there,

Wow, that sounds like when my buddy's turbo basically broke down(he broke the shaft in it) can happen after you shut the car down from improperly cooling down, or just so worn out that while its cooling it just breaks. The car will sputter for a couple seconds and die while spewing lots of black/grey smoke out the tail pipe with the whining noise as well. Try taking off your intake and pull in and out on the turbo shaft see if it just lets go till you hit the housing and what not. Good Luck man!

Mark

Also, everytime ive driven the car i try to let it idle for at least a minute to give it a chance to cool down even if i dont drive it long or hard. thnks for any help in advance.

yeah, when it finally does start it only makes the noise when I rev it up, the higher the revs the louder it is, Its definatly the turbo making the noise but when i checked it would spin freely and had no shaft play, it then starts sputtering and then dies and it sometimes smells like its running really rich ( smell gas or am i wrong on that one??)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back