The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rebuilt or buy tranny. GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63maniak

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2007
Miami, Florida
Well after several weeks of ejoying the car with a respectable amount of power... The tranny is starting to grind when i shift for 2nd gear...

I dont know if buy the internals and pay the labor or maybe buy a new unit from deales, that must be expensive as hell. Or maybe send mine to shep trannys but i have seen several evos with shep trannys and the shift is to harsh and hard...

I dont know what you think i will apreciate some opinions

most likely what you need is syncros for second and thats just gonna happen again and again if you are making good power with a stock trans. if you like the way the stock one shifts then as long as your not way to rough with it you could get away with just replacing parts every time they shit out. it would also help if you have a good clutch that can support the power. its cheaper and easier to replace a clutch. in the long run it would be better off to get a mild rebuild from shep and get use to the shifting with it. just my opinion tho

If you are making good power, buying another used or even a brand new trans will not be ideal for you. Still eventually going to have problems. You should go ahead and have the trans rebuilt, utilizing some upgrades that several DSM trans rebuilders offer. Surely you can find a happy medium with getting it rebuilt, not necessarily the all out drag trans, but better than stock.

Yes i think it will bemy best shot to go with upgraded parts.. Maybe ill give a call to shpe trans to se..

Yes i have an aftermrket clucth also...

Thanks for the imputs guys

Just talk to dog box trannys and they will rebuilt mine for a very good price, very nice people working there

i would go with the dog box rebuild. make sure you have a really nice clutch to back it up with. good luck :thumb:

Update your profile with your mods. We have no idea how much power you are making. My tranny is holding up fine with ~400whp. And mine is weaker than a regular USDM stock AWD transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back