The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Possible problem with ARC-2 and COP setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightRider97

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2006
SW, Nebraska
Alright, I just received my Dynatek ARC-2 DSM kit from JNZ Tuning (great company BTW) and just finished the install. I guess I dont know what setting to have the Coil Edge set to, Driven Coil signal or Standard? At first the car ran great, smooth as all get out, but as it warmed up and I raised the RPM's there were definite misses in it. Right now I have it set on Standard, because as I understood the instructions thats what our DSM's have.
Im running a professionally built, plug and play, COP setup with 300M coils on it. So it literally just plugged into the stock harness and thus the ARC-2 simply plugged right in between the COP and the ECU harness.
I also noticed my tach is unsteady, moves up and down about 50rpm, but that could be simply from the missing problem.

So should I have the ARC-2 set on the Driven Coil setting? Or what do you guys think is wrong? Intelligent responses only please, no "why the hell do you think you need a COP setup?" or any crap like that please.

It has to be set on std coil. You have to switch it with the engine off or it won't change anything. Was it set to the other setting and you changed it while the car was running?

Hey thanks for the quick response. I set it to standard before I started the car.
The only part of the instructions I dont really understand is where it shows a diagram of a COP setup, and it shows something about cutting and splicing stuff. I dont think I should have to do that since I have the install harness for 95-99 DSM's and my COP setup is a plug and play as well.
I havent installed new plugs yet, but these plugs only have like 1000 miles on them.

WEll, i don't know what "driven" and "standard" mean, I imagine standard is for a "dumb ignitor" with no dwell control (more common) and that driven is for ignition boxes that have their own dwell control (most all aftermarket CDI boxes use this type and control their own dwell)

Also, if it is talking about the output edge to fire on, it(arc-2) most likely takes a "rising edge" signal with a "constant duty" formation because the ARC-2/DIS-2 control the dwell themselves. If i'm correct this would make the ARC-2 require the "driven" signal and the rising edge trigger. By having the stock ignition transistor in there you can keep the "standard" setting and the ecu will fire the transistor with a falling edge and it(the transistor) will in turn provide the rising edge current to fire the ARC-2 correctly (as if it were a coil it's self)

NOw your standard most common ignition modules use a "falling edge" trigger and "constant charge", but the output from the transistor is a rising voltage signal and it can be used to drive the ARC-2 or DIS-2 more reliably than the ECU it's self..

I originally set mine up to not have the stock transistor and although it ran it was harder to start, the tach acted up and i just wasn't happy with the over all setup due to the way it acted up and wasn't consistant (sometimes missing as well..more like cutting out though). I then put the stock transistor back in and used it to drive the DIS-2 and things have been peachy ever since!!

Look in my thread called "Why COP if stock is better" it's in the "bolt on" area of teh forum and polarmoment gives a HIGE technical breakdown of how it all works and the amperage required to drive tehse boxes and why our ECU's have trouble in certain configurations.

Good luck and i hope this helps you some what.

In short.. if using the stock ignitor... go with standard setting, if not using it and having teh arc-2 directly off teh ECU try the driven setting, but that will probably be more of a PITA as i described about my setup

EDIT: Damn it took so long to write this i went from 1st reponder to last post LOL LOL LOL

I have only heard of one other person having this problem and it was a combination of the switch being in the wrong position and the ground wire needing to be located on the battery.

WOW, damn man. Way to go off the deep end with the "intelligent responses only" requirement. LOL
Thats a little beyond my understanding at this point with these cars. LOL
I guess I dont know if Im using the stock igniter, or running straight form the ECU.

Hey were are you at in NE?// I'm in omaha and could give you a hand checking over things if you'd like. PLus i'd like to get together anyway so i can start meeting and gathering names of other NE DSM;ers that i can contact when i have my cookouts and put together shows and stuff that i do for ACS and JDRF (american cancer society and juvenile diabetes research foundation) I started with them putting on shows on bikes for childred that are living with cancer and diabetes and We've started talking about bringing some of the "camps" of children to come see races and or taking the cars to them at their camps to see, sit in, get pictures with and talk about them with the kids and teach teh kids thinggs.. it's a great cause, PM me if you're up for any of just meeting or the shows.

I guess I'll go buy a new set of plugs and check the ground, but its attached to the battery post so I dont see it being an issue.
I also have the module set for multiple spark discharge, should I set it to single and see if that helps it?

The restrike or single spark shouldn't make a difference, but you can try it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back