The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Please Help! Low Idle & Bad Vacuum After Timing Belt Swap...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm_illicious

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2002
A City, California
OK, I just swapped the timing belt and removed the balance shafts. I get everything together and I get some clank-clank-clank-clank noise. On top of the noise, I have no oil pressure, the car won't rev, & bad idle. SO, I take everything apart. I found (using a stethoscope) that the noise was coming from the crank sensor plate thing. My dumbass put it on backwards OMG. I didn't see how the hell that could've happened since I DID rotate the crank twice to check the tensioner before putting everything back together, but oh well. OK, hang in there with me. So to accommodate my stupidity and the spacing, I threw two small washers behind the crank sensor and it's cool now. Now we are at the present. The car is idling low (580-610), When I give it gas, it doesn't really want to go, and there is a weird (yet light) knocking noise coming from the timing side again. Do I JUST need a new crank sensor??? One more thing, my oil pressure is VERY good now. PLEASE HELP ME!

if you put the plate on back wards then you 4 sure bent some valves because your timing marks are were all wrong!

^yea, I'd be worried about that as well.

Take off your timing belt cover and line up the marks again. Then take out your #1 spark plug (closest to the t-belt) and put a rod in it. Then start rotating the crank to make sure that it is at Top Dead Center when the marks are lined up.

After that, run a compression test on it to see whats up.

if you put the plate on back wards then you 4 sure bent some valves because your timing marks are were all wrong!

Thats not always true, but like ^ said, I did sit a long screwdriver on piston #1 before I initially made the mess up. I don't know what I was thinking, I saw the other mark at the 11 o'clock position-but I was just rushing like a dumb@zz. Anyway-I went to the dealer (two of 'em) and scooped up a new crank angle sensor and a crank sensor blade/plate. I ripped it all apart and put it together again and everything is good. Damn, I had ~140K on my old belt and what a difference! PLUS, I removed my balance shafts-totally worth the effort. Right on ya'll. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back