The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Please help! Coolant everywhere, bad water pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genegoesfast

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2010
Nashville, Tennessee
I have noticed recently after arriving home, if I pop the hood of my car I can hear the coolant bubbling/boiling. A few days later my heat began working intermittently. Two days ago on the way to work my check engine light came on flashed a few times then stayed on(I'm assuming that this was the coolant temp CEL). On the way home the same night the car was running fine, no check engine light, the coolant temp gauge began sky rocketing. Of course, the CEL came back on. The temp went up and over the "H" before I could pull off the highway. When I came to a stop I could see steam pouring out of the hood. I popped the hood to find all the steam coming from around the motor mount area on the driver's side (water pump) but couldn't actually see fluid flowing out due to it being 11pm. I'm assuming this means bad water pump, though I'm concerned about the head gasket.

Today I filled the cooling system back up with water and ran the car to operating temp, then drove it around the block to see if I could get the temp to begin to rise.
No temp change beyond normal though I did see a small amt. of flow from around the water pump area. You can see it in the blue circle in the pic.

What should be my next step?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you havent done so, time to do all timing belt related maintenance since you are going to have to undo everything to get to the waterpump. do a compression test as well to see if u blew your headgasket. also, i drove my car when i first got it for about 50 miles with a bad water pump and didnt overheat.drive it for a few miles (5 tops) and let it idle, and it will probably overheat

drive it for a few miles (5 tops) and let it idle, and it will probably overheat

I kinda already did that with the results being the pic above. I only drove .5-.75 miles or so, so maybe not far enough. Will a compression test really prove a bad headgasket or not? I heard a suggestion of pressurizing the cylinders and listening for air entering the cooling system.

Any more ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back