The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G P1500 General FR Terminal Circuit Malfunction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSXEclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2008
847, Illinois
The other day I was driving my car and it bogged out and shut down. I tried cranking it and it woud crank but did not fire. I got my trailer and towed it to my shop and scanned the code. It came up P1500 General Terminal Circuit Malfunction. I've been trying to figure out the problem. I have 13.7v comning out of the battery. Anybody ever fix this problem before.:dsm:

You have an open circuit either inside the alternator (FR terminal, pin 4, green wire) or a bad connection (open circuit) from this terminal to pin 41 of the ECU (could even be the ECU, but least likely). Check this 4 pin connector first. Then measure voltage on pin 4 while turning headlights on - voltage should drop. The ECU uses this signal to control idle speed when heavy electrical loads are turned on.

Everytime ive had that code its because the alternator was taking a shit. Only had it happened once on my own car but thats exactly what it was on my friends cars too.

I just recently found the P1500 code as well, right about when it started running horribly. Not as noticeable when it's cold, but once it has warmed up, the RPM's will jump all over the place, idling anywhere from 0 (dying on me), typically with large vacuum occurrences like putting it into neutral from accelerating to 1500, when it normally would idle around 800-1000 RPM. Also when I am accelerating, I feel the engine do the same thing, I can step on the gas and it'll go fine, then start sputtering and jerking quickly.

I'm curious if the P1500 code is probably the issue, as I also just put a check valve between my intake manifold and my PCV valve so I don't have to keep replacing the stupid PCV valve? At first I thought this was maybe a vacuum / boost leak, but I reverted it back to not having the check valve in place and I still had this issue.

I haven't taken a look at the alternator harness or anything yet because I haven't had the time, nor have a good idea of where to find it, so any help would be much appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back