The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil Pressure Light flickers randomly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerx

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
I dont really associate it with anything, it seems to happen randomly.
I just see it happen occasionally.

The odd thing is, is that Im pretty sure the idiot lights wire was disconnected.
It is on the alternator harness right? Because I have one wire thats not connected to anything, almost looks like a spade like connector.
From what I can tell my stock oil pressure gauge is fine, although its always read kinda high.
Is there anything else that would cause it to flicker

It sounds like the spade connector that you have disconnected is grounding out on something from time to time (cornering, bumps, hard accel/braking can cause a loose wire to move and touch anything made of metal. Most oil pressure wires are searching for ground. That is why there is only one wire instead of two or three. When oil pressure is in the system, it adds resistance to the sensor. this resistance changes the amount of current flowing through the wire. Higher oil pressure= higher resistance. Lower oil pressure= lower resistance. The gauge cluster then translates this current into the pointer. I would bet that as the idiot light energizes, you will also notice the stock gauge twitching.

wrap the end of the wire in electrical tape and it should eliminate this issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back