The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

msd ignition coil help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylercuevas93

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
hello everyone, i own a 97 gst spyder and have just purchased an msd ignition coil along with the wiring harness adapter and was wondering if i would absolitely need any other ignition uogrades for this. im new to dsm's but have mechanical experience. not as much as most of you probably, but iive been taught properky how to do things. my uncle has owned a mechanical for about 20 years now. i believe its the 4 tower msd ignition coil. some background, i recently purchased and he car had been overheated. water pump was bad, replaced it along with new gates timing belts. my idle after we startex it back up seems to be off. it runs very rich. my uncle noticed that between wires 1 and 2 that they were arching over to each other. this is why i have purchased a new coil. i really appreciate any replies a d any help anybody provides. thanks in advance!

Sounds like it should be plug and play but with out seeing it it's hard to say. Being it has the plug adaptor your should be ok with what you have

The MSD coil that I am familiar with is a 4 tower one for the NT cars. The connectors on the coil are 3 terminals straight across. Some of the cars used round terminals, and some used a rectangular terminal in the connector, the adapter is probably needed for the different terminals.

The turbo cars have a coil pack with 2 coils. That coil pack also uses a 3 pin connector, but it is a triangular connector. I don't know that MSD ever made an adapter to go to it.

The MSD coil pack is not the same as the turbo coils, electrically. But it SHOULD be close enough to run as is. I never tried it, but the specs look fairly compatible. I'd just replace with new turbo coils, so they mount up correctly etc. But to each their own.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back