The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G MPI Fuel pump relay 97 GST compatibility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharkisDsm

Probationary Member
Jun 29, 2020
Madrid, Europe
Good morning everyone. My name is raul, I am from Spain and I have a Eclipse Gst from 1997. I have a problem which I have been dragging for 3 months and I am desperate, to see if you can help me.

My car was a gs and I swapped to gst. Everything perfect but due to the gst wiring that I put, I cannot use the fuel pump relay that I had in the gs, if not another of old Gst, reference E8T08474, and due to covid19 I do not receive orders from the US. I would like to know if I could add another similar relay from the Colt (E8T08471) or Galant (E8T00177), physically they are at least the same. Or if there was some way to bypass the circuit to make it work. See if anyone can help me.. Thank you!

The problem with contacting us here is the 2g Eclipses in Europe are not the same as the 2g Eclipses in USA. Example: Non-turbo GS model in USA has a Chrysler engine with an ASD relay where turbo is Mitsubishi engine with MFI relay. Also the E8xxxxx number may be on the relay but it is not the Mitsubishi part number so we have no reference as to what part number that is (Mitsubishi part numbers in the USA are MDxxxxx or MRxxxxx).

Gary you're sort of right but A LOT of the parts and electronics are the same or interchangeable between our Euro GS's and USDM GS-T/GSX's, so I'm sure we can help him out.

Raul, are you saying that the connector from the GS-T harness cannot plug into your GS fuel relay (The one near the ECU)? You need to tell us two things. Firstly, if you have a 1997 European GS, that means you have the fuel relay number MR224160 (model E8T101). Can you visually compare the one on your car with the one from this picture?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now, if you do have this relay but the GS-T harness will not plug into it, that means the harness they gave you is from a 1995 model car. Read through this post for more information:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-basic-ecu-mpi-circuit-function.497188/

This is how the 1995 relay looks like:

It uses a single connector, but the pins are the same number, 8. So what you can do is compare the wire colors of the original harness on your GS to those of the GS-T harness. If all the wires match, either re-solder or re-pin to the GS connector so you can plug it in.

Furthermore, I checked with the VIN I have of my old 1996 Euro GS, under Fuel Relay, the same part number shows up as the one on GS-T/GSX models.

Gary you're sort of right but A LOT of the parts and electronics are the same or interchangeable between our Euro GS's and USDM GS-T/GSX's, so I'm sure we can help him out.

Raul, are you saying that the connector from the GS-T harness cannot plug into your GS fuel relay (The one near the ECU)? You need to tell us two things. Firstly, if you have a 1997 European GS, that means you have the fuel relay number MR224160 (model E8T101). Can you visually compare the one on your car with the one from this picture?

Now, if you do have this relay but the GS-T harness will not plug into it, that means the harness they gave you is from a 1995 model car. Read through this post for more information:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-basic-ecu-mpi-circuit-function.497188/

This is how the 1995 relay looks like:

It uses a single connector, but the pins are the same number, 8. So what you can do is compare the wire colors of the original harness on your GS to those of the GS-T harness. If all the wires match, either re-solder or re-pin to the GS connector so you can plug it in.

Furthermore, I checked with the VIN I have of my old 1996 Euro GS, under Fuel Relay, the same part number shows up as the one on GS-T/GSX models.

Thank you both for answering. exactly as kryndon says many of the pieces are interchangeable between the Gs and the Gst. The non-turbo version here is the same base as your gst there in USA, therefore it is very easy to swap.

Exactly, my relay was originally like the one in first photo, black. And the one I need is like the one you mention below.

They are the same pins, But I tried to connect them, adapting the gst wiring to the black relay of my gs but it did not work, but I did not notice the cables if they were the same color .. I think I will try again

thank you very much for your responses

Mitsubishi may have in fact changed some of the wires from '96 onwards or made other systems run through the MPI fuse, but that I cannot say for certain. It should be possible to search for an electric manual for a 1995 car and also one for 1996+, then find the MPI relay (fuel relay) diagram and compare each wire color and which system it goes to. But that's a tedious task unless you love looking at circuit diagrams. I sure don't, LOL.

EDIT: Okay I did some quick digging and I may have found something to make your life much easier. Check out this link, I copied it at the exact comment. Read through it, then take a look at this picture (again from the same link):

I think with the diagram and the comment, you can trace each wire on your harness and check if each goes to the correct pin/sensor. And if you end up missing a wire, you may be able to add it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi may have in fact changed some of the wires from '96 onwards or made other systems run through the MPI fuse, but that I cannot say for certain. It should be possible to search for an electric manual for a 1995 car and also one for 1996+, then find the MPI relay (fuel relay) diagram and compare each wire color and which system it goes to. But that's a tedious task unless you love looking at circuit diagrams. I sure don't, LOL.

EDIT: Okay I did some quick digging and I may have found something to make your life much easier. Check out this link, I copied it at the exact comment. Read through it, then take a look at this picture (again from the same link):

I think with the diagram and the comment, you can trace each wire on your harness and check if each goes to the correct pin/sensor. And if you end up missing a wire, you may be able to add it. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I sent the info to my friend who helped me with the swap, and lets see if we can solve it... thank you!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back