The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Mismatching tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoriftoTSi

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2002
Portland, Oregon
I'm able to get to get some new tires and rims for pretty cheap, but the problem is, 2 tires are wider and have a different tread than the other two. Would my differential get messed up if i were to put these on. They are the same size other than it's width.

If the outside diameters are the same, you may get away with it. I don't know if the different growth rates will matter.

I'd not do it, even for free tires.

DoriftoTSi said:
I'm able to get to get some new tires and rims for pretty cheap, but the problem is, 2 tires are wider and have a different tread than the other two. Would my differential get messed up if i were to put these on. They are the same size other than it's width.

If the wider/sticker tires are on the rear this will give your car the tendancy to power-on understeer. If installed on the front, it will cause lift-throttle oversteer.

Also, with mis-matching rubber compounds and tire widths, you change the tire slip angles and tire traction limits.
Mismatching tires is not necessarily a bad thing, that is--if the difference in each tires' slip angle is not too great.

IMO, put the wider tires on the end that is breaking traction first, or replace them with the tires which are being overworked.
Also, if you put them in the rear, drag racing from a dead-stop will improve. Placing them in the front (causing lift throttle oversteer), will make the car rotate and turn easier.
As long as a all 4 tires have equal circumferance, you center differential will be unaffected.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back