The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Meth/Water Injection Nozzle Placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowkyd278

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys,

I'm currently installing a Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth/Water Injection Kit. I have questions on where to tap the nozzles. I know its supposed to be the TB Elbow, but is that part of the Throttle Body? The parts I know by name are the Throttle Body (just swapped in the 1G one) and the Intake Manifold. Stupid question but I want to be absolutely sure before I start drilling. Pictures would answer my question better than any words can so they're more than welcome. When drilling, does the pipe need to be removed in order to clean the shavings that fall inside after or is the location in a safe place where a few shavings inside would just end up going out the exhaust. Again, just seeing a pic of where to mount would probabaly answer my question.

Secondly, what color is the MAF signal wire on a 98 GSX and where is the best place to access the wire if the controller is mounted in the glove compartment?

I have a single stage and i mounted it on the bend of the tb elbow. it points directly at the throttle plate

So is it mounted where the green circles are? I got confused because I forgot the Dejon UICP replaced the throttle eblow too. It's been so long since I've even looked at the thing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Definitely take off the pipe to drill it. You could probably get away with drilling something on the exhaust side, but don't even think about it on the intake side of the motor...You don't want metals shavings having a party in your combustion chamber.

Cool, great replys. What about the MAF wire? What color is it and where is it best accessed? The controller will be near/in the glove compartment.

Is it save to run meth/water that close to the head? Some people prefer drilling the hole into the uicp near the bov so there's no chance of liquid getting into the head.

If you sprayed near the bov in the uicp, it would have farther to travel, and through colder parts. this would make it more likely to condensate/stick to the inner walls of the uicp. IMO the closer to the TB the better.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but i didn't want to start another one on the same topic. It seems the majority of people are mounting their nozzle's right at the TB elbow, and it seems to be working. I just picked up a enginerunup kit, and i emailed them and asked this question. They said that it should be as far away from the butterfly in the TB as possible, but after the IC. The reasoning behind this is that the water/meth will inevitably have more time in the UICP to collect heat from the air. Does that make sense? I don't know and i was just trying to figure out the optimum placement.

Also, i would like to hear more about pre-intercooler dual setups. I've seen a few threads on this, but nothing extensive. It looks like it would be a great way of running a dual nozzle setup, however i asked enginerunup about this as well and they didn't recommend it as, they said maybe after time the alcohol would potentially eat away at the aluminum from the inside out. But more importantly if you were a heavy footed driver, it would potentially pool up the liquid in the intercooler, which in turn reduces efficiency of your IC. Any insight? Thanks!!

-Aaron

Also, i would like to hear more about pre-intercooler dual setups. I've seen a few threads on this, but nothing extensive. It looks like it would be a great way of running a dual nozzle setup, however i asked enginerunup about this as well and they didn't recommend it as, they said maybe after time the alcohol would potentially eat away at the aluminum from the inside out. But more importantly if you were a heavy footed driver, it would potentially pool up the liquid in the intercooler, which in turn reduces efficiency of your IC. Any insight? Thanks!!

-Aaron

This is something I am looking at possibly doing. Most of the info that I have read suggests not to use a pre-IC nozzle for the reasons you mentioned. However, I recently read this suggesting otherwise:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/274714-what-brand-meth-injection.html#post151321746

Aquamist is probably the most respected name in water injection so I take their results with confidence. It sounds like if you use an extremely small nozzle of a diluted meth mixture you may be able to avoid those potential problems. However, it also sounds like they might still be experimenting with it before giving it an unequivocal thumbs up.

I am still doing some investigation into it. I will let you know if I come up with anything definite.

BTW, I am currently running a single M3 nozzle immediately pre-TB with very good results. I was going to switch to an M5 but now I am thinking of going to dual nozzle keeping the M3 where it is at and going smaller than M3 (not sure what the next size down is) pre-IC. Results of the injection are great so far!

I put mine in a coupler between the GM MAF and the TB elbow.
73726d1180140636-diy-custom-silicone-couplers-coupler1.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back