The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Nozzle placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STARION

20+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2002
Nova, D.C.
Hey,
I'm just talking out of my @$$ here, but I'm wondering if, with a single nozzle wet kit, you could put the nozzle past the TB. Again, if I'm an idiot, tell my why with an explination, I'm new to nitrous (I'm trying to avoid a flame war). Now, back to what I'm asking. I just picked up a wet kit and was going to just put the nozzle before the TB (of course), but am considering the possibility of tapping the hole right in the center of the intake mani. If it's wired to a WOT switch, then I wouldn't image it would make a huge difference. However, I don't know if it would be worse for the whole process or not. The reason I assume it's not done is because the distribution would be worse (getting to #2 and #3, but not 1&4), but I thought I'd ask anyhow because if the possibility exists for improvement, then I might as well take advantage of it.

Only direct port kits can be drilled into the manifold, as their nozzles are designed for it. Placement of the nozzle must be 6 inches before the TB in order to achieve atomization and have the nitrous take effect. If it's to close, you'll just be injecting nitrous...waste of nitrous...I'm not sure what that'd cause, as the bottle claims that n2o isnt flammable, so maybe it'd combust, maybe not...not to sure on that one.

If you want it in the manifold, buy a direct port, otherwise, if you want your kit to work right, tap it 6 inches before the TB.

Ouch. Bad info. Sure you can tap the nozzle after the TB, but there really isn't any point in doing so. You want to give the mixture time to atomize, however 6 inches away is a little excessive and may contribute to fuel puddling. If you were going to tap it into the manifold after the TB, I would suggest doing it RIGHT after the TB. The only advantage would be that on a missed shift, the nitrous/fuel mixture wouldn't be hitting a closed throttle plate, but rather a gaggle of open valves. The effect would be similar to over-revving the motor, but with the factory rev-limiter in place you'll be fine. (If your aren't quick witted enough to get off the gas after a missed shift than you needn't be using nitrous in the first place.) Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

They make direct port kits for placing after the TB. Wet kits are placed 6 inches before the TB. Period. It's time to atomize. Six inches is the preferred distance, call any company and ask. To close causes poor atomization, to far is puddling. Six inches is what everyone that knows installation of wet kits will tell you to place your nozzle at. At a closed throttle plate, the nitrous wouldn't be spraying to begin with. It's not going to cause enough of a build up to puddle. It's a WOT activated one...it'll have enough time to shut off and get the remainder of the mixture through before it's totally closed. Air moves fast. You're not going to over-rev with a tiny puddle of nitrous, but it's not going to puddle to begin with. You know how long a normal shot of nitrous takes to fully rev an engine, even under WOT. I don't think it's just going to go ping and be up there...you'll have enough time to let back off the gas...and the nitrous isn't going to keep letting it rev...there's not going to be enough to matter.

It isnt atomization, it is more distrubustion.

Think about it though, direct port kits install right before the intake valve... now they are making kits that go before the fuel injector to get it even closer to the cylinder.

As long as the fuel and nitrous makes it in the cylinder it will be okay, regardless of where the nossel is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back