The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

MBC installed...now weird problems!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweizman

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Cincy, Ohio
1991 Tsi Awd 5 speed

I just installed an Ebay MBC, and now I can't get the car to boost right. No matter which way I turn the adjustment bolt...all the way in, or all the way out, the boost shoots past 15 and the car stutters really bad. It just falls on its face.

When I take the MBC out of the loop, and hook the wastegate straight to the hard pipe coming out of the turbo going to the intercooler, the car runs solid (9-10 PSI at WOT) no stuttering.

Mods are: 2.5" BR Crush bent downpipe, high flow cat, and cat back. 14B stock turbo, stock exhaust manifold.

I think the MAF was hacked by the previous owner..and the a K&N is bolted to it.

I searched, but this seems weird that no matter which way I turn the MBC, I get skyrocketing boost.

The MBC is just a ball and spring, and seems to be fine...??

Boost leak somewhere? I triple checked my hookup. I had the one end "T'ed" into the line from the BOV to the IM, and the other end going to the wastegage.

Any suggestions would rock.

Thanks,
Patrick

Don't think so. I have the end that is in line with the adjustment screw going to the BOV / IM line, and the other port going to the wastegate.

Also, when the stutter happens...I get a big whoosh sound. Almost like the BOV is dumping...or something.

This is the MBC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7957695237&category=33742

I think the instructions for it are wrong...screwing the screw in should increase boost, unscrewing the screw should decrease boost...and they have it opposite in the directions.

Any ideas?

Later,
Patrick

My friend had that, for a while. It was a POS, and no matter what, we couldn't get it to work. My MBC would work perfectly on his car. I'd advise staying away from them in the future and get a new one.

IHeartTurbo said:
My friend had that, for a while. It was a POS, and no matter what, we couldn't get it to work. My MBC would work perfectly on his car. I'd advise staying away from them in the future and get a new one.

Really? Like it wouldn't adjust boost at all?

That is what is happening with mine..it doesn't do crap. All the way out...still massive boost...all the way in...massive boost (of course).

So buy a Joe P...from like here?

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=4

Thanks,
Patrick

Have you tried hooking the MBC up the opposite way yet? I've been using a $16 ebay special MBC for 2 1/2 years and I've never had a problem with mine.

Also, turn in to increase boost and turn out to lower boost.

I don't think it is hooked up wrong.

I did it like this:

Attachments

• MBC.JPG
    MBC.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 411
stupid question but do you have an aftermarket boost gauge.....common sense but i didnt see anyone else ask. if not take out the MBC till you get one. the stock one is just a needle that moves up and down for your enjoyment. not trying to make you sound dumb if you already have an aftermarket gauge just asking. and if you have one and its doing what you say i would also recomend going with a name brand one that is unfortunitly more $$$ but less hassle (in most cases). i just installed a turbosmart gated boost control and it works like a dream. paid out the A$$ for it but IMO there is no price on reliability or doing things right the first time and being done with them.

GOOD LUCK!
91 TSI AWD 5 SPD

I know exactly whats wrong with it.............spring tension is to tight......i found that out as well putting one on my friends SRT-4....you have to cut out 1/2 coil at a timet till its where you want it

sorry im playing halo and posting...that was kinda half assed............the reason its full boost is because when you tighten the screw you raise the boost, that is causing more pressure on the spring by giving it less room to expand. so since the spring is to long causing it even when fully adjusted to still have to much pressure. by cutting one coil at a time while having it full out you can get it to where its at stock boost then you can tighten as needed to raise the boost to the desired level. if thats not clear ill try again after this match in halo :thumb:

boost_or_bust said:
stupid question but do you have an aftermarket boost gauge.....common sense but i didnt see anyone else ask. if not take out the MBC till you get one. the stock one is just a needle that moves up and down for your enjoyment. not trying to make you sound dumb if you already have an aftermarket gauge just asking. and if you have one and its doing what you say i would also recomend going with a name brand one that is unfortunitly more $$$ but less hassle (in most cases). i just installed a turbosmart gated boost control and it works like a dream. paid out the A$$ for it but IMO there is no price on reliability or doing things right the first time and being done with them.

GOOD LUCK!
91 TSI AWD 5 SPD

I do have an aftermarket boost gauge. I am a newbie to DSMs...but not to turbo cars..;)

Thanks for all the help. I think it is most probably just a POS MBC. I think I will get a Joe P. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.

Patrick

it's tighten down to increase, let out to decrease. Weird thing, I got one just like it, didn't work for crap, the guy sent me another and it worked perfectly fine. To this day I cant' figure it out for the life of me. It would basically act like disconnecting the wastegate. Have the guy send you another one, usually they will for free. As far as being a POS, just because they're simple and cheap doesn't make something a POS necessarily. Mine has lasted 6 months and was 8.00 shipped and holds boost as well as any other MBC I've seen. Also make sure it's got a tiny bleeder hold in the "to waste" gate nipple, usually on the end of it.

Ok...second cheap Ebay boost contoller...same sort of problem. The boost holds stronger now...but still way too high. I back the knob all the way out, and I am still getting 18+ psi of boost.

Then I hear a big whoosh sound, and the car falls on its face. I just want to run around 14-15 psi. Do you guys think this is a cheap boost controller problem, or something wrong with the car?

I have included a picture of the way I had it hooked up...I am surprised that two cheap MBC act the same.

I guess I will just buy a Joe P. If it doesn't work....any ideas?

Later,
Patrick

Attachments

• MBC4.JPG
    MBC4.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 317
pweizman said:
Ok...second cheap Ebay boost contoller...same sort of problem. The boost holds stronger now...but still way too high. I back the knob all the way out, and I am still getting 18+ psi of boost.

Then I hear a big whoosh sound, and the car falls on its face. I just want to run around 14-15 psi. Do you guys think this is a cheap boost controller problem, or something wrong with the car?

I have included a picture of the way I had it hooked up...I am surprised that two cheap MBC act the same.

Later,
Patrick
............the reason its full boost is because when you tighten the screw you raise the boost, that is causing more pressure on the spring by giving it less room to expand. so since the spring is to long causing it even when fully adjusted to still have to much pressure. by cutting one coil at a time while having it full out you can get it to where its at stock boost then you can tighten as needed to raise the boost to the desired level <--try what 91 white tsi explained, that's my guess as to what the problem is

I figured as much...I am just looking for a sanity check.

Any other problems with the CAR that could be causing this?

When the MBC is out of the loop, the car holds 10 psi in 2nd and 3rd gear.

I guess I will probably just buy a Joe P...because I don't know if I want to mess with the cheapo one.

....let me know if I am missing anything.

Later,
Patrick

Its not the car. Buy a JoeP or take these guys advice and cut the spring down. You keep asking the same question and not listening to the suggestions people are giving you. :confused: ;)

pweizman said:

Later,
Patrick

I got the exact same boost controller... I'll let ya know if it does the same thing as yours... I bought a cheapo 10$ boost controller on ebay for my last dsm as well (that was a long long time ago) and it worked fine never had a single problem held boost better than any other 200$ MBC...

I had the ebay crap one too its worthless. Spend 35 on JoeP SOOO worth it

steveVR4 said:
Its not the car. Buy a JoeP or take these guys advice and cut the spring down. You keep asking the same question and not listening to the suggestions people are giving you. :confused: ;)

My bad.

I am just shocked that two Ebay boost controllers would be crappy.

Just looking for a sanity check before I blow a turbo up.

I am kind of a noobie with DSMs...but not turbo cars. I gotta tell ya...the folks on this board are quick to jump your crap.

Later,
Patrick

Briefly reading through the post, I can re-assure you that it's not your car. If the MBC you bought from eBay is a ball and spring "style" something might be wrong on the inside of the boost controller itself. I would contact the guy you bought it from and ask him to send you another (if your warranty is still good). If it does not work after the 2nd MBC, then I would suggest finding another brand like Dejon or Joe P as everyone above suggested.

The Lesson: If you buy from eBay, try to stick to purchasing brand names....

Buying from ebay is like buying a cheap hooker. Sure you are getting it cheap but is cheaper always better ??? :p

ROFL

It is not better.

I had to cut two coils off the spring to get it to hold boost....at a reasonable level.

Then, I blew a cap off the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler...;)

What do you guys use for caps? It gets really hot in the engine bay, and they need to stay put!!

Later,
Pat

pweizman said:
ROFL

It is not better.

I had to cut two coils off the spring to get it to hold boost....at a reasonable level.

Then, I blew a cap off the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler...;)

What do you guys use for caps? It gets really hot in the engine bay, and they need to stay put!!

Later,
Pat
:tease: Wow....good job what did you spike it to? :nono:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back