The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

maft install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2004
chicago, Illinois
hello i have installed a maft setup on my gvr4. i thought i had a 2g maf so i ordered the 2g translator because i know that the connector is the only difference after 2.00. but come to find i had a 3g maf #399. so i had to cut up the wires and find what each wire was. i found that vfaq was a big help on this. i wired up the translator good, but when i accelerate i get a big fall on my face kinda thing. what could be the problem. also i have not touched the settings for i have a keydiver chip and an safc2.

but car feels slow to begin with. then its like fuel cut. especially when i punch it.

SBstar said:
The car felt fine before the maft install I'm assuming? Did you make sure you zeroed out the settings on the maft? That would be the first place to check, also make sure it isn't on RPM mode.

I made that same mistake long ago when I first got mine. To add on, it may not be necessary, but I also zeroed out my SAFC(after writing my initial settings down). I like working from ground zero myself :). What size injectors/pump are you running with right now? Anything by chance become loose?

If you have the base knob on "0" you are running rich. "0" is for 430cc inj's. Most of Jeff's chips with the MAFT need to be set on 470cc's. That will lean you 20%. Each click clockwise on the base knob leans the mix 5%. The other knobs are reversed richening clockwise. Try turning the base to 3 or 4 and try that. Just take it easy with the boost. Do you have some type of logger? Inj size? mark

sweet97 said:
If you have the base knob on "0" you are running rich. "0" is for 430cc inj's. Most of Jeff's chips with the MAFT need to be set on 470cc's. That will lean you 20%. Each click clockwise on the base knob leans the mix 5%. The other knobs are reversed richening clockwise. Try turning the base to 3 or 4 and try that. Just take it easy with the boost. Do you have some type of logger? Inj size? mark

He's right. The base setting on the MAFT was the only thing I had set. When you bought the MAFT, you should have gotten a sheet with it that has all the settings and percentages. I say use the MAFT first to get you "in the neighborhood", then use the SAFC for fine tuning.

the car runs fine w/ the 399 maf. and i have the tuning down for that. this is what i have done to the car.
Ams t3/t4 54 trim kit, ported 2g manifold, tial wastegate, 3" downpipe, 3" atr catback
evo 8 fmic
evo 8 injectors
3g maf
K&n cone filter
ams manual boost controller
apexi safc2
walbro 255
keydiver stage 3
also anyone in the chicago area have a 1g logger and wanna help me tune my kid just broke my pda.

So, is the car running ok now? If not, like everyone is saying, something is messed up in the settings department. Personally, I think you have too many factors envolved now. The afc, keydriver, and now the maft? Since you have the keydriver settings for 550cc injectors (thats the size of the evo's injectors, right?) you need to set everything to zero and work from there. The maft, afc, everything.

Have you done a boost leak test yet?

It seems like the problem could be due to the fact that you have the keydriver chip compensating for larger injectors and then if you set the maft to your actual injector size then it would try to compensate for that as well. I would work on a boost leak test first if you are still hitting fuel cut. Also, a logger is crucial for tuning so you will either need a new pda soon or get an old palm m3 or something cheap that could log for now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back