The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Just ordered new SBR motor, Need turbo help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolN

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2003
Coventry, Rhode_Island
Well just placed the order for a new motor from Slowboyracing. Need your suggestions on a turbo set up.

Block:
Wiseco 8.5:1 .020 over pistons
Manley I-Beam rods
Clevite bearings
Stock 6 Bolt Crank
Oringed block for metal headgasket

Head:
SBR stage 6 port work
Ferrea 1mm over valves
Manley Titanium retainers
Manley Springs
Brian Crower Camshafts Stage 3

Just wondering what you guys think a nice turbo would be. Prob going to rev the car to 8500, going to be a drag car want to run lots of boost

Thanks

We are thinking that a 35r will probably be a little too small (but maybe not thats why we are posting). Maybe a 37R or a 40R. I have a friend who just made 780hp in an srt4 with a 37R from AMS. We have been told by a few people that a 40R isnt worth it when a 42R is only a little bit bigger, but a 42R is pretty huge; hence we need advice.

HP and 1/4 mile goals are probably around 5-600 on a medium boost setting and a low 11/high 10 with traps in the high 120s (we are being realistic - dont want to set the goals too high to start with, we know there will be some bugs that we have to work out)....then once we are dialed in crank the boost up and shoot for a mid-low 10 sec 1/4 mile.

Also, Suspension/Brakes/Fuel system will be dealt with after we pick out our turbo kit. We want to build around the turbo/motor

You have some time till you get the motor right? Just make sure to use an old turbo to let the new motor breakin and to get all the breakin crap out of the motor before a nice big turbo goes on it.

Yup we have about a month's wait, and still have the stock manifold and we can snag a t25 for pretty cheap around here. I just read some of the horror stories so we are going to stay away from that.

Any other advice like that in general about the new motor is welcome as well.

Thanks guys!

silver bullit said:
You have some time till you get the motor right? Just make sure to use an old turbo to let the new motor breakin and to get all the breakin crap out of the motor before a nice big turbo goes on it.

Yea the motor should be here in about 4 weeks. I have heard some horror stories about people throwin on a nice new turbo and blowing it becuase of the new motor all the metal shavings and such that havent work them selves out. we will be useing a stock t25 or 14b to break the motor in for sure. Just trying now to get an idea of what turbo we want becuase that will be our next purchase along with ems or dsmlink. We are gonna be getting a fully built IPT tranny shortly as well.

I just put together a motor with a similar setup from SBR:
9:1 weisco (.020 over)
manley rods
stock crank
Stg III head
274 Cams

So long as your car is put together, tuned, and driven right, it will have no problem getting into the mid-10s possible low 10s or 9s if you use a 42R and spray.

I discussed my setup alot with John from SBR. With low 10s in mind, we came up with GT3582R, DNP header, Mangus IM, Preciscion Air-to-Water intercooler, meth injection, C16 gas and a healty dose of spray.

I really wanted to go 42R to be honest with you but he kept telling me that the 2.0 would have such a hard time spooling it, he was absolutly sure about the 35R.

Hey Man

Thats pretty interesting. If the 3582R is good for low-mid 10s then that will probably work for what we will be doing. I'll have to give Mike a call at SBR to try and figure some shit out. I'm guessing you are revving to 8K+?

The head we have should be capable of going to 9 but im guessing we will keep it to 8500 at the most

Are you wanting to go the Mitsu turbine housing route, or a Garrett T3, T4?

If you're wanting to stick with a Mitsu housing, slap a FP3575 on and be done with it. EvilEagle clicked off some mid/low 10 second passes with that turbo. A fellow DSMer in CO hit a mid 10 second pass with that turbo as well (6,000 ft above sea level).

I still wish someone would try out the Borg Warner S362 or S364. 362 = 65lb/min. 364 = 75lb/min.

Dark_Horse said:
Are you wanting to go the Mitsu turbine housing route, or a Garrett T3, T4?

If you're wanting to stick with a Mitsu housing, slap a FP3575 on and be done with it. EvilEagle clicked off some mid/low 10 second passes with that turbo. A fellow DSMer in CO hit a mid 10 second pass with that turbo as well (6,000 ft above sea level).

I still wish someone would try out the Borg Warner S362 or S364. 362 = 65lb/min. 364 = 75lb/min.

I saw EvilEagles dyno run and mod list. He must have a SPOT ON tune to get those numbers with that little modifications!!

Yes, I should be revving about 8K. Remember though, I plan to obtain low 10s or lower using nitrous, meth, liq-to-air IC, and C16 gas ontop of the *small* GT35. If you want to do it on boost alone, you may need something bigger, but then you invite spool problems with a relativly low redline. If you car spun up to 10k, a 42R would be a different story.

PS I just got drop shipped my GT3582R from Precision (thru slowboy) and it was in BAAD condition. The shaft moved side to side so much I could hit the compressor walls with the turbine! Make sure you check your turbo thouroughly!!

GT3582R vs STocker:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That DNP header is BEAUTIFUL!

MMM said:
GT3582R vs STocker:

That DNP header is BEAUTIFUL!

Yes the header is beautifil. What are you running for a wastegate. Maybe we will try and go with a gt37r we will talk to mike at slowboy see what he suggests I guess. We plan on staying away from nitrous so we will see.

MMM said:
GT3582R vs STocker:

QUOTE]

Which one is the 35R :confused:

LOL jk...thing looks great...makes me want ours now:thumb:

MMM said:
TiAL 40mm (pictured). The DNP has a V-Band flange for the W/G and I will also be running a v-band downpipe.

Just clarifying, thats a Tial 44mm wastegate. Tial 44's use the v-band which is sick because it's MAINTENANCE FREE.

Tial 40mm bolts on with 4 bolts.

Not being rude, just clarifying for everybody that reads it!

Cragger

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back