The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Installing safc ver. 1 98 420a w/ 1g 450s (HELP?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 gst 420a dsm

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 22, 2003
Turboville, New_York
I've been a member here for along time so i know how the flaming could start here. I am in no way a 420a tuner. However a local teen came to we with the issue of installing a version 1 safc and 450cc 1g dsm injectors in his already turbocharged and hardly running 98 eclipse rs.

I work on/ build respectible japanese/domestic forced induction vehicles but have just about zero experience with this SAFC ver1.

Thus far i have wired resistors inline with the injectors to properly compensate for the 450cc injectors.

I do not have a wiring diagram for the SAFC although it seems to be easy to find, i do however have one for the 98 eclipse rs electrical system.

So really what im asking is if someone can help me cut some corners and send me some of the values to imput into the safc to compensate for the 450cc injectors, i would rather not have to datalog and butt tune this car and im certain that this particular youth will not be able to afford dyno time and dyno tuning.

Im doing this probono. Thankyou for your time!

Mike

I think you need a little more information from this kid before installing the S-AFC and any new injectors. What is he currently using for fuel management, what is his wastegate set to, and what are his plans for the car?

The S-AFC doesn't do a whole lot for these cars, certainly not enough to effectively control 450cc/min injectors without some other sort of mechanical fuel management. However, at the point where he actually needs larger injectors, the stock bottom end won't be able to keep up.

If the wastegate is set to less than 8psi, I suggest he use a 12:1 FMU with stock injectors. If it's set higher, he'll need to evaluate the strength of his car's pistons and rods and go from there: most likely settling on an S-FMU and possibly the 450cc/min DSM injectors.

Also, you were right to add inline resistors, but I don't think the DSM injectors will fit in the 420A rail/intake manifold...

vortech 12:1 fmu he says, a blue fmu is certainly present, along with a 255lph. he tried it without larger injectors and safc but it fuel cuts half way through the rpm range. boost is set at 7psi. i have driven the car, it only needs larger injectors and something to compensate the ecu for the larger injectors.

If he's keeping the wastegate set at 7psi, he should stay with the stock injectors, 12:1 FMU and 255lph fuel pump. There's no need to upgrade to larger injectors or the S-AFC at this point. If he's getting fuel cut, it's likely because he's not using a fuel cut defender (FCD), or missing link (ML). I suggest an FCD; its electronic nature prevents mechanical mishaps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back