The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Im having problems with my turbo not spooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Eclipse_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Fresno, California
Hi Im just wondering if anyone can help me I just got my engine rebuilt like two days ago the car seems to run fine but the turbo dosent seem like its spooling and theres no smoke so i dont know whats going on someone told me that i have to wait for my engine to relearn since its new i guess does anyone have any ideas on what it might be

Have to wait for your engine to relearn? Um, no.

First thing to do- Check for boost leaks/cracks in the intercooler piping.

Check to make sure their is no exhaust leaks before the turbo.

Pull the intake off the turbo and make sure the compressor wheel spins freely.

Is your BOV secure?

I went thru this a few days ago.Make sure your wastegate is closing properly,check for boost leaks of course and in my case I blew out a turbo to exh man gasket.It was my fault forgot to torque the bolts down.I replaced it with super thick likely blow out proof stainless gasket from slow boy racing.And also used the turbo ring thing which is a no no guess on my 50 trim.It split but didnt' break into pieces and fell in my turbo exhaust inlet sideways.No harm down but now the trubo spools up properly big difference.

Is it normal for the engine to still run even if the turbo is not spooling because the engine seems to be running fine its just that you cant even hear the turbo spooling i took off my intake and the turbo spins but not when cars running

You probably just have some leaks to fix. Do a boost leak test and check your exhaust manifold gaskets like others have said.

My car ran ok with the exhuast leaks pre turbo.But the boost was not great and it had very slow spool.Also if you have a massive boost leak the car will stall out instantly but little ones can cause some loss of boost. But if your turbo isn't blowing oil big time and is turning nicely when you take the intake off its pretty much got to be working.they are simple things really.

I wouldn't have thought a simple blown turbo to exhaust manifold gasket would do serious things to spool and boost but it did.Combined with my split turbo ring lying in the turbo exhuast opening it killed major power and car was slow as a slug.Its much much better fixed now.

Also running super rich can hurt spool too and make the car very doggy.

Try these things first:

1) Check if the wastegate acutator arm is physically attached to the wastegate flap. There's a little C-clip that keeps the wastegate arm attached to the flapper.

I bought a 1G that "didn't build any boost"...I looked in the engine bay, saw that it was off, gave the guy $1000, used a piece of steel wire to hold the WG arm in place, and drove it home with boost. :laugh: :shhh:

2) Check for boost leaks. Lightly spray some water/soap mix on your intercooler hoses, especially at the connections and clamps. If there's a boost leak, you'll see it bubble.

3) Take apart the turbo/manifold/downpipe. A few people found that the manifold ring has flipped and blocked most of the exhaust flow.

Otherwise, sell it to me for $1000. ;) :thumb:

98Eclipse_gst said:
Is it normal for the engine to still run even if the turbo is not spooling because the engine seems to be running fine its just that you cant even hear the turbo spooling i took off my intake and the turbo spins but not when cars running
Fill out your profile so we can help you better.

98Eclipse_gst said:

If you looked at your compressor wheel with the motor running and it wasn't spinning, then your turbo is toast. The compressor wheel is always spinning lightly when the car is running.

the compressor wheel only spins when you rev the engine but not when its idleing it seems like when you feel the compressor wheel is stuck on something any ideas on what it might be

damn, thats not good

its supposed to spin FREELY , very freely

you should be able to spin it up by hand and watch it spin a bit, with car off ofcourse

if its stuck, its ####ed, LOL, something is DEFINETLY wrong with your turbo

give us some more details, but i think the turbo is jacked if it doesnt spin freely

Mike 99GSX said:
If you looked at your compressor wheel with the motor running and it wasn't spinning, then your turbo is toast. The compressor wheel is always spinning lightly when the car is running.

You do realize that if the car is running and you're looking at the compressor wheel, the MAF isn't metering anything. :laugh:

(unless he has a MAFT in blow through or VPC) ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back