The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

How to test/inspect/remove/replace center diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I think I have a center diff/VC issues with my car. It seems like the rear end is not getting power all the time. My car is not built at all so its not a traction issue.

Also, when I make any type of U type turn or a sharp turn at low speeds (5mph or so) the car will bind up, and stop if im not giving it alot of gas (40% or more).

How do I remove the VC and center diff without removing the trans? I see that you can do that with a 5-spd awd, but not with an auto awd.

Also, once I get it removed, what do I look for? How do I test the VC?

Thanks!

Pull the end case, 5th gear and intermediate gear and the VC then the bearing case can come off. Center diff is sitting there behind the bearing case. My guess is you have broken spiders. Launch the car much? Was your AWD swap a mismatch from different cars or all from the same car? I'm asking because there are differences in final drive gear ratio between different years and from auto to manual. Final drive differences can destroy a VC/center diff

All the parts, trans/tc/diff were all from one car. All look to be the same due to how much rust is on all of them.

Never launch it...Attempted to a few times, but will only stall to 2.5k with no boost being built. So its almost slower then just stabbing the throttle off the line.

Are there different trans/tc ratios like the manuals on the auto stuff? I could never get an answer for that one.

Also, how can I tell what rear diff I have? Are there numbers somewhere on the inside of the diff? The case has heavy rust so any external numbers would be unreadable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back