The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Welding center diff procedure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
I'v pulled the center diff from my awd-auto 1g trans and given it to my buddy who has welded a couple manual trans center diffs for me. On manual trans we like to weld the one side of the center diff with the viscous coupling engaged to make re-installation easier (and sometimes we are using a cut down solid VC sleeve).

Is this neccissary to do on an auto? The center diff came out in about 5 minutes, but I suspect getting the viscous coupling out is significantly more dissassembly.

Any info?:confused:

I haven't taken the VC out yet, but It seems there is a bearing cover or something in between it and the diff with a bolt under the oil pan holding it in. There is an intermediate gear that drives the center diff case that sticks into the center diff bore that looks like it would prevent that "bearing cover" and VC from sliding out of the bore.

Does that intermediate gear have to be removed first?

Im really trying to get the trans into my 1g this coming week and make it to the track on Oct 30th to experiment before the track closes. That was I can better judge what I want to do for converter/trans mods for 2011 and have a baseline for info/log and might be able to better tailer the engine combo. If getting the vcu out is a significant pita, Id tend to just leave it in there for the two times I'll hit the track this fall before tearing the car apart over winter anyway. (Im planning to go through the trans over winter for maintenance)

I haven't taken the VC out yet, but It seems there is a bearing cover or something in between it and the diff with a bolt under the oil pan holding it in. There is an intermediate gear that drives the center diff case that sticks into the center diff bore that looks like it would prevent that "bearing cover" and VC from sliding out of the bore.

Does that intermediate gear have to be removed first?

Im really trying to get the trans into my 1g this coming week and make it to the track on Oct 30th to experiment before the track closes. That was I can better judge what I want to do for converter/trans mods for 2011 and have a baseline for info/log and might be able to better tailer the engine combo. If getting the vcu out is a significant pita, Id tend to just leave it in there for the two times I'll hit the track this fall before tearing the car apart over winter anyway. (Im planning to go through the trans over winter for maintenance)

You can take it out or leave it in but you don't need it as a spacer or anything like that, as you would with a manual trans. You just don't need the extra turning mass.

BTW, the viscous clutches are sometimes tough to get off of the pinion shafts.

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions

Ok, after the center diff is out, the next part down is the bearing race. There are two 6mm threaded holes in this plate. Iv tried pulling up on those two bolts without any budge.

The bolt under the valve body is already out as well as the transfer gear that mates with the center diff. I'd like to just remove the vc unit while the trans is apart if it's useless now.

Ant tips for getting that bearing race plate out of the bore?

Ok, after the center diff is out, the next part down is the bearing race. There are two 6mm threaded holes in this plate. Iv tried pulling up on those two bolts without any budge.

The bolt under the valve body is already out as well as the transfer gear that mates with the center diff. I'd like to just remove the vc unit while the trans is apart if it's useless now.

Ant tips for getting that bearing race plate out of the bore?

The bolt under the vb can and should stay where it is. You need to get under the bearing race retainer with a seal pulling tool and tap it out, switching from side to side a little at a time. They are not in there tight or anything like that.

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back