The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

HKS SSQV chatter problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafro

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
:mad:

How the heck do you tune the frikkin' chatter out of this thing. I've backed out the adjustment screw until it's about to fall out. It helped. But it still chatters like crazy when going from WOT to part throttle. It's not just driving me crazy. It has blown the end tanks off my intercooler twice; requiring disassembly and welding the end tanks back each time.

Is there a way to make this thing vent smooth and chatter free?

My BOV came with a "filter" (instructions for BOV are in Japanese, I don't know what it is) that's supposed to be installed in-line with the boost/vacuum source. I did that. But all it seemed to do is leak boost like crazy, and eventually it fell apart. I'm not using it now.

My boost source is the intake manifold, and my Extreme MBC is tee'd off of that line as per its instructions. Yes. I'm vented to atmosphere. I'm running the MAFT in blow-thru config. Car runs GREAT other than this freakin' chatter.

See. Here's the busted intercooler... This is the second time it broke.

Here's how my UICP/BOV/MAFT is installed.

This chatter is causing the couplers on the MAFT to work like muscles. It makes the UICP work like a big lever and it works the FMIC's outlet pipe back and forth until it breaks welds. Major suckage.

How do you make this BOV NOT chatter?

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 163
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 158
So your saying your BOV is blowing you end tanks off of your intercooler? How does that work? WTF

I have the HKS. And i've never experienced any problems at all and this is the first i've heard of them. The adjustment on the back of the valve is off. Also, check the pressure line running from the manifold to the BOV. that may be crimped off and causing problems. Who welded the endtanks, that shouldn't happen. The pressure shouldn't be near enough to blow off a good weld.

I agree whole-heartedly that the end tanks should be staying together. It's an ADFX 2g FMIC w/short-route pipes. I chopped and hacked the UICP so I could fit the MAF 6" behind the BOV. The MAF is a 3.5" LS-1 Corvette MAF. Unfortunately, my pipes are 2.5", so the couplers are a little large and have some room to swell under boost. What's happening as the BOV flutters is the UICP is jiggling and eventually breaking the welds because the outlet pipe is welded to the outside of the end tank where it offers a lot of leverage. It's a foot long, and the UICP coupled to it is not a straight-on angle so it pushes the pipe to the side. What the BOV's vibrations are doing is making it repeat this force rapidly until it stresses the welds and they blow out.

I don't really have any options on the couplers. I've hacked up the only UICP I have that will fit this car. I wish I could have mounted the MAF sensor parallel to the throttle body so that when the couplers swell, it doesn't push the UICP into the IC outlet pipe, but it's a little late for that now. I need to have SOME flex in the couplers for what little engine movement I experience. You can see in the pic I've got poly motor mount inserts. Engine movement shouldn't be an issue at all.

ADFX rates this intercooler for 1300hp setups. I'm only making 433 at the crank (324 at the wheels), with just a big-16g. It would take a GT35 with 35 PSI and a stroker motor, 250hp shot of n2o, and some really cold weather to make 1300hp... silly. It should hold 21 PSI with no problems and laugh at mechanical vibration but oh well. That's what you get for a $780 intercooler kit.

What's really nice is if you try to hit www.adfxracing.com now... it's gone. hmmmm...... and their DNS is still registered.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back