The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Have any of you guys bought an intercooler from this guy, he claims to be pretty good

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secondGST

15+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2004
Brownsville, Texas
Hello guys im looking into buying an intercooler but since i just bought an afc and injectors im little short on budget to buy an intercooer im going to buy just the intercooler and creat my own pipes. Can some one give some advice on this buy he claims that the intercoolers are very good and he has some pictures were the intercooler is on a eclipse. what do you guys think

:| Ummm... so we not only have to guess whether or not it is good, but we also have to guess WHO it is from?

Regards,

98TsiAWD said:
I think thats the same type of core adfx uses, and its suppose to be very good. What are you goals with the car?

Im just planing to go may a little over 300hp maybe like 350hp im running a 20g im running mid 13's at like 103mph and with regular bolt ons i just a afc and injectors and i just need the intercooler and i want to see if a can get my gst to the 12's

i bought one of his intercoolers.....they look awesome, my buddy who has a laser turbo also bought one from him.....he's a real cool guy, and his product is great......

When i got my custom piping made, the guy at the shop couldnt believe i got that intercooler for under 300$

What all is involved as far as setting up a custom piping application and installing this on a 2g (talon)? Who would be able to do the piping and how much did that run you around?
Mike

how much hp can those intercoolers support?

NosLaser said:
:| Ummm... so we not only have to guess whether or not it is good, but we also have to guess WHO it is from?

Regards,

LOL!

Yeah, those look pretty good.....BUT you might also wanna check out JohnnyRaceCar.com, I got my FMIC from him this week....core is 30''x 6''x 2'', end tanks are 7'' tall and 3.25'' deep, piping is 2.5'' long and OD is 2.5'', bar and plate core, has been pressure tested to 30 psi and I gave $210 shipped....I would post a pic but I don't have a digicam...he has pics on his site though....I can vouch for him, my IC looks reallllly great....I can't say how fitment is gonna be(I have a 92 TSi), but hopefully I'll be getting to that soon...just thought I'd let you in on it....peace

I dont have any experience with this so someone chime in, but everything I read and heard says that a 2" thick ic core is really inefficient. That is then componded with it being only 6" tall. Im sure it will be better than the smic but Anything larger than a 16g will probably outflow the ic. Like I said before, this is just in conversations and posts that Ive heard this so dont flame me if Im wrong, just inform me of the truth.

Well, he has customers who are using these IC's and are making at least 350 hp. Some of these cars are B series powered Honda's that are running 60 trim T3's which flow as well, if not better than a 16g(there is a 3000GT VR-4 using one of these as well). No they're not as thick or tall, but they are 5 inches longer (30'' compared to 25''). Not trying to argue or anything, just informing the truth. Check out JohnnyRaceCar.com, you'll see a couple....mounted on cars, too.

92awddsm said:
I dont have any experience with this so someone chime in, but everything I read and heard says that a 2" thick ic core is really inefficient.

The efficiency of any heat exchanger goes up as the core thickness decreases. The last 1/4 of a thicker intercooler or radiator does almost nothing because there is no delta T, the air passing through has already absorbed all the heat possible.

From what I remember from my research, the intercoolers are better when the core is vertically mounted. Meaning end tanks are top and bottom. Less pressure drop was the main reason I believe. Problem is fitment of course. As far as thickness. I know that spearco uses 3.5" thick cores, it must not effect heat soak too much.... Anything with internal fins and good end tanks is better than the stock side mount though, provided the size of the core is big enough. :thumb:

MWAAWD said:
The efficiency of any heat exchanger goes up as the core thickness decreases. The last 1/4 of a thicker intercooler or radiator does almost nothing because there is no delta T, the air passing through has already absorbed all the heat possible.

How would a thinner core be more efficient? If that is the case, why doesnt everyone run a 2" core instead of a 3 or 3.5" core? Would make for less cutting during an install. You would also see alot more people running the starion ic as opposed to buying something thicker. I think you need to do some more math because a thicker core=more surface area which= better heat dissapation. Same is true with radiators.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back