The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Finally got my Car to the track with the automatic swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazinglaser_90

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2005
uniontown, Pennsylvania
Here is the video from that night

car went 10.46 @ 132 mph

this is the first time out with my automatic swapped dsm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5MF2URb1Cs?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5MF2URb1Cs?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice! Good to see autos holding down.

Nice! Good to see autos holding it down.

Stellar run!!!

Pls tell us what you ran before the swap?

Also i'm doing the same swap and need to know what your running for a convertor?

my best run before this was a 11.4 @ 128 mph......my 5 speed wouldn't shift LOL

And my converter is a 100 dollar restall from a guy whose done alot of work for the 2.3 turbo ford guys in my area, it goes to about 3000 - 3200 on just the motor with a 75 shot to spool the turbo it hits about 4600- 4900 stall!

DirtyDog Performance (Powered by CubeCart)

He doesn't have it listed on his site but if you give him a call he'll give you all the info about what he can do to help you out.

my best run before this was a 11.4 @ 128 mph......my 5 speed wouldn't shift LOL

And my converter is a 100 dollar restall from a guy whose done alot of work for the 2.3 turbo ford guys in my area, it goes to about 3000 - 3200 on just the motor with a 75 shot to spool the turbo it hits about 4600- 4900 stall!

DirtyDog Performance (Powered by CubeCart)

He doesn't have it listed on his site but if you give him a call he'll give you all the info about what he can do to help you out.

I hear ya with the poor shifting 5 speed. I ran 11.1 @ 133mph so i'm in need of the auto.
Thanx for the info.

The gear ratios are different. That's why you need the j1h 4 bolt 1g rear diff

AFAIK, this is the "1g auto swap" mechanical partslist:

shifter assembly with plastic trim
shifter cable
AWD Auto trans
front, rear, and trans side mounts
drivers side front axle jackshaft (spacing is different)
torque converter
starter plate
flexplate (or better yet, SFI approved upgrade)
Auto Xcase (6 bolts)
automatic rear diff (axles are same as manual trans but gear ratio is different)

From what I can gather, these related parts are interchangeable between stick and auto:
starter motor
all 4 axle shafts w/ CV joints.
driveshaft

Obviously it's up to the swapper how indepth they want to "convert" in regards to electronics, wiring, pedals, and dash controls. I'd assume most guys doing this swap for street/strip type cars aren't going to bother adding the brake pedal lock cable and ign switch lock cable to the shifter or care that the dash doesn't have the PRNDL display or the overhead trans temp light. But if the car is going to be street driven, some thought needs to be put into wiring in a manual shift box, swapping in an auto engine harness and TCU. Plus the swapper needs to decide if they want to bother removing/swapping the pedal assembly to ditch the floppy clutch pedal as well as removing the clutch hydraulics.

Can you show us the full slip or type in the #'s? Im running about the same mph with my 1gawd with 5speed trans (trans is crap, clutch is going to eventually be crap) and an auto swap is now first on my list of to-do.

I'd love to see how much your car is kicking mine's rear in the 60', 330', and 1/8 ETs.

Nice run! Must felt really good in the 1st half?

Auto/high stall + n20 x bigger turbo = low numbers! :thumb:

are you spraying on the liner or after you leave?

just found this thread. i forgot how smooth your car went down the track that nite. auto is def the way to go! off the trailer busting out a 10.6 then a 10.4. still makes me laugh!
should be a fun season!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back