The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fans Causing Drivability Problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestwestranger

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
Cotter, Arkansas
Ah, this is a strange tale indeed. Here is the info;

My car has always run a little hot, so a freind let me try out a different radiator to see if maybe mine was heading south. At the time, I had what felt like a lean condition under boost. There was some noise like spark knock, and a loss of power. It was logged, but everything showed fine(?). So anyway, I swap radiators, and the one I was borrowing had the fans and everything on it, so they went in as well. Afterwards, the car ran a bit cooler, and as a side effect, the car started running a bit rich. No more spark knock, no more pulled timing. It was bad enough that under w.o.t. there was black smoke out the tail pipe, and some bogging. So I check some stuff out, and find my O2 sensor had crapped out. I replaced it, and it helped a bit. I buy a new radiator, throw my gear on it, and take it for a drive. After it warms up, I get this real hard hesitation like I am hitting fuel cut something. It was real violent under full boost in first gear! It doesn't happen at any specific rpm, boost psi, or vehicle speed. And, for the first time in a year that I have had the car, I get a cel light that goes on and off. I plan to try and pull the codes Monday at work, but if anyone has any ideas that can point me in the right direction, let me know! Is it possible that a temp sensor on the radiator is screwin things up?

Thanks,
Chris

91 GS turbo with free mods, K&N, mbc set at 15, unhacked maf.

Damn these coincidental problems! Bought a pocket logger today and found out the throttle position sensor is going bad. This is the second time I have had a component fail after replacing a non-related part. Really confuses the hell out of me when it does that......

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back