The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

evo 8 pistons in 6 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfernotalon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2007
Greeley, Colorado
I'm going to be putting evo pistons in my 6 bolt I'm going to take the block and pistons to the machine shop and have them work their magic. Can I use the evo rods too or do I have to switch to my rods?

Anything else I should know or do? Thanks guys.

I'm going to be putting evo pistons in my 6 bolt I'm going to take the block and pistons to the machine shop and have them work their magic. Can I use the evo rods too or do I have to switch to my rods?

The evo rods are the same spec as 7 bolt rods i believe. But your prob better off using the 6 bolt rods anyways. Few people i know that have done this said they just used rod bearings for a 7 bolt. I know the wrist pin height is different on the rod and the piston so im not totally sure if they will drop right in.

The Evo and a DSM have the exact same 7 bolt rod.
If you already have a 6 bolt rod, then might as well stick with that one. I haven't heard of anyone going through the hassle of having to machine 7 bolt rods in a 6 bolt crank. Just get the 6 bolt skinny end machined to 22mm to match the wrist pin of a Evo piston. Get yourself OEM rings for the pistons, I have hear many bad rebiews from a vendor on here that doesn't have much followers....'yard.

Make sure when you have the small end machined it's not just bored, I'll find the picture but it has to be smaller width wise (can't think of the proper terminology).

hey man dsm graveyard offer the machine service for what u are look for to use a evo 8/9 piston with a 6bolt rod ....check the link below ....happy booosting :D

DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for DSM Parts!

hey man dsm graveyard offer the machine service for what u are look for to use a evo 8/9 piston with a 6bolt rod ....check the link below ....happy booosting :D

DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for DSM Parts!

165 isn't bad I might consider that ill have to see how much my machine shop charges me. compression wise do you guys think it'll be a big improvement?

If you have a 6 bolt you CAN NOT use the EVO or 7 bolt rods. The big end width (at the crank) is 1.115" for the 6 bolt (stock) and 1.038" for the 7 bolt and EVO (stock). That comes out to .077" side to side difference, which is so far out of spec the motor will destroy itself. Next thing is about the machine work. The small end (where the piston itself mounts) needs to be blanch ground (meaning taking material equally off each side of the small end) 0.100" total, and of course opening the small end hole to 22mm. Lastly the EVO pistons are still a press wrist pin setup (stock for all 4g63 motors), and will need to be pressed onto the rods when assembled. Hope this helped :thumb:

Attachments

• 2g_pistons_on_1g_rods.jpg
    2g_pistons_on_1g_rods.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 448
Before you do that. I want to strongly recommend that you go with EVO 9 pistons. IIRC the EVO 9 pistons are forged, where as the EVO 8 and lower are cast pistons. According to some engine building vendors, the EVO 9/ 6-bolt combo can reliably hold 550 AWHP.

**edit**

Nope, I was wrong.
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9SPaYI3_wY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9SPaYI3_wY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

After the money you'd spend on EVO 9 pistons and rod machining, you might as well just buy a set of forged 6 bolt pistons and avoid the hassle...

I spent 100 on the rods and pistons I'm guessing another 100 for machine work idk. I'm not going for anything crazy around 400HP is my goal on an hx50 or 40 on e85. I think the pistons will hold up for the summer.

100 bucks for rods and pistons... hopefully the pistons are new and you already had the block inspected by a machinist and those pistons are the proper size the machinist suggested... you should be able to get 400whp on a turbo much smaller than an HX50 or HX40 if you plan on running e85.

100 bucks for rods and pistons... hopefully the pistons are new and you already had the block inspected by a machinist and those pistons are the proper size the machinist suggested... you should be able to get 400whp on a turbo much smaller than an HX50 or HX40 if you plan on running e85.

The block has to be bored out no matter what the Pistons are bigger. I know its easily reachable even on an hx35 that's what I have but I want room to grow this is my set up for summer when my car is down for winter I'm going forged.

I will be using evo pistons on 6bolt rods. Dunno if you have completed your assembly or not but from what i understand the pistons have to be installed backwards on the rods. But what rings would i get, evo or 92 dsm?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back