The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Drivetrain binding when turning (2g AWD)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMatterM4

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2020
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I am having an issue on my GSX. When turning at low speeds, the drivetrain binds up as if the center diff is welded. This obviously makes navigating parking lots pretty tricky.

I recently had the transmission apart to replace the 3-4 shift fork and checked the center differential. It is NOT welded and everything spins freely. I also checked the CV axles and they're all in perfect shape.

What else could be causing the drivetrain to bind up when turning? The car is on stock wheels and stock suspension, so I doubt it's anything suspension-related.

I removed the 8 bolts and popped off the diff cover. I removed and checked the pinion and spider gears and the housing. Everything spins freely and there were no visible welds.

Last edited:
All tires are the same size. I only got the car last December and it has always had this issue. Granted it's not a massive issue, but I would like to fix it to make the car more enjoyable to drive.

Good question. How can I check this? I can say that when I was reassembling the transmission, it took some serious malletting to get it down low enough to reinstall the snap ring. Could this be a sign that the viscous coupler is failing?

Just to update this thread for those having the same issue. Swapping out the viscous coupler fixed the problem. The car drives normally now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back