The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Divided Turbine Housing (T4) vs Undivided (T3)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SloColt said:
I see atpturbo is actually selling a .78 t3 divided housing with a vband outlet. Should be a very interesting housing to say the least.

They're offering that turbine housing on the Borg Warner S300 line too, though I haven't heard of anyone running it.

I wonder, can any one help me figure out how many LBS/MIN my car will be flowing in exhaust?

I know that this thread is really old, but I figured I would answer this question for anyone who comes across it later.

First you need to find the mass flow rate of the air coming out of the compressor. There are many different websites and books that show these calculations. They can take a little while to do (due to messing with compressor efficiencies) but they are quite easy.

Then you need to decide what air/fuel ratio (A/F) you are going to run under boost, most likely 11.0:1.

Then you use this equation to find mass flow rate of exhaust:

mass flow rate of exhaust = mass flow rate out of compressor * (1 + (1/(A/F)))

Example:

Say your turbo compressor flows 50 lb./min of air and you operate at a 11.0:1 A/F Ratio, then:

mass flow rate of exhaust = (50 lb./min)*(1+(1/11)) = 54.54 lb./min

Oh, and about another thing said in this thread, the mass flow rate of exhaust is always greater then the mass flow rate of air entering the engine. Since the mass flow rate of exhaust equals the mass flow rate of air into the engine plus the mass flow rate of fuel into the engine, it has to be greater or else this means that the engine has no fuel to burn, which is lame.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back