The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

did a boost leak test

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast97gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
Last night I finally installed my 780 injectors so I decided to play with the boost. I turned it up to 19 - 20 and it was fine. Then I set the controller at 24 and floored it and the car still only ran 20 psi all the way across. ( I think it went to 1.35 bar .. but I had it set at 1.7 bar ) Anyways, I thought maybe I just need to reprogram the controller and reset it so I did. I went for a pass for it to learn the initial "base pressure" which should be 1.0 bar since that's the spring my tial 38mm has in it. Well I do the pass and the controller reads .85 bar. ( the guage seemed to be reading 14ish psi ) I just left the controller at 20 psi then and took the car home.

Today I did a boost leak test and got a VERY quiet hissing noise from between the throttle body and intake manifold. I couldn't track it down exactly, but I'm 90% sure that's where it's leaking from. The thing is the hissing was so quiet I literally had to put my ear down there and concentrate to hear it and I couldn't find anything else that was hissing. Could this really limit my boost this much? I can understand a LITTLE slower spoolup but not wanting to build any more boost is strange. Thoughts / Opinions?

yes. at the higher boost levels. I was having a problem with my car so I did a test. The car wouldn't boost past 7. I had a small leak like your describing. I fixed it and it went all the way up to 18 where I wanted it. Maybe when your getting on it it gets bigger or something :confused:

I had the same prob with my 2g, it ended up being the o rings actually in the throttle body, you could open/shut the tb and it would get louder off and on. check that first :thumb:

An sc61 should have no problem keeping the boost up with the leak you are describing. I bet it will end up being a setting in the profec.....

nanokpsi said:
An sc61 should have no problem keeping the boost up with the leak you are describing. I bet it will end up being a setting in the profec.....

I didn't think so either ... but I have no clue what else it would be. Besides even in the learning mode I only built .85 bar of boost instead of 1.0 bar.

hw bout the WG spring? could be not enogh springin there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back