The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Cranks but wont start, testing fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97-GSTDSM

Probationary Member
Mar 6, 2019
Imperial, California
I need some help been researching around the forums just need to confirm if im right.

I have a 97 gst that cranks but doesnt start. I checked for spark and its there i tested the fuel pump by connecting a wire directly from the battery and didnt hear nothing, tested the white connector on top of the fuel pump for current while cranking and my test light did turned on but only on one side of the connectors maybe because the other one is ground?

I tested the black connector besides the fuel pump switch and got nothing while cranking. Is there another test to do before i order a new fuel pump?
Thanks.

You connected directly to where? If you want to verify fuel volume use the fuel pump check connector. Then take a hose and connected to the fuel return at the regulator and put it in a bucket. This will tell you if you have fuel flow or not. It will not tell you if you have fuel in the motor because you still don't know if your injectors are firing.

I used the fuel pump connector switch the black one and loosened the bolt on top of the fuel filter and didnt see any fuel.

I put a screwdriver on the injectors while cranking and didnt hear anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the check connector hooked up test for voltage at the fuel pump connector. Also listen for the fuel pump if you have voltage.

I connected the black lead on one side and red on the other side with a voltmeter on top of the fuel pump connector and was getting voltage more every crank 9.70 volts, and no sound of fuel pump. But no voltage without cranking.

Everything else was connected on the battery aswell.

Wheres is the cut out switch i read that that could be the issue too is it underneath? Couldnt find it on top.

My bad i was checking the sensor that connects to the fuel pump not the one on the firewall.

My test power cable the one im connecting to the positive battery terminal and the fuel pump test connector is kinda thick so i cant get a good reading with my voltmeter it starts high then keeps dropping until it reach 0 but not sure if its because im touching the positive cable.

I left the cables connected and the connector melted with the positive cable inside :ohdamn:

The cable is like that one without the yellow end and i was connecting it into the black sensor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No i cant read diagrams but i was reading about it on a service manual that i found on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you determine that to be the fuel pump connector? Is you harness unwrapped? This isn't where it's supposed to be.

No its not unwrapped and thats what i read on this forum and i think it was on that threat where i got that picture and from a service manual around here too.

That white wire is the one i was connecting to the battery and the other end into that black sensor.

This is the other part of that black check connector

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back