The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Converting my 1g Eclipse into an airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Well here is the basic rundown of my plans. I will be converting my 1g DSM into an airplane over the course of the next year or so. And yes, I am serious. I know a lot of people are probably wondering why I would do something so stupid, or if it is even legal, but I plan on taking care of all that. Basically, if my preliminary sketches are correct, it actually shouldn't be too hard.

I know this will probably come as a shock to a lot of people, but please, if your going to talk negatively, please stay out of the thread, because I consider myself an innovator, and I work my best without criticism. If all goes to plan, it should be complete by mid 2011.

----

You guys are probably wondering how I got the idea for this whole thing in the first place, so I will give you some background information. One day, I was just sitting in my 1g and realized something... The 1g interior, aside from often being referred to as a "cockpit", actually closely resembles a real jet cockpit. After I surfed around google images for a while, I realized that the 1g indeed does resemble a jet cockpit. I believe that whoever designed the 1g cockpit might have experience in airplane design. Don't believe me? See for yourself:

Here we have the interior of my 1g:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and HERE we have the cockpit of a jet fighter:

hmm... notice any similarities there?

Here's another example:

After noticing all these similarities, I almost truly believe that the 1g was MEANT to be an airplane, and the plans were scrapped and it was made into a vehicle. Like, I think the automatic seatbelts were really meant to be, like, a canopy closing system or something like that.

Well, frankly after I made this connection, I was just astounded and couldn't wait to jump into this project. Luckily my family has a background in aviation (both my uncles have been baggage handlers for united airlines for 34 years), so I can get some input on how to go about constructing it.

Now, at the time I came up with this idea, I didn't have AutoCAD so I had to use MS paint for some of my designs, but you get the idea.

The first thing I did was start laying out the cockpit. I went on eBay and started scoping out various cockpit instruments (altimeter, air speed indicator, level indicator). I pretty much have a basic idea of where all the instruments will go now. I just need to start gutting the car (because it is still in the form of a road-going automobile at this point). Obviously, the main instruments will go in place of the speedo/tach/gauges. I was thinking maybe the E-brake area will be converted to a landing gear handle, but I still have to call Northrop Grumman about that for some specs. Also, obviously, the 5 speed shifter will be removed and replaced with the throttle control.

Naturally the stock radio will be need to be removed and replaced with various avionics and communication/transponder equipment.

All ergonomic aspects have luckily already been handled by Mitsubishi. They did an amazing job designing the 1g cockpit, which is incredibly ergonomic for its time.

It's going to be a lot of work, but in the end, I KNOW I will be happy with the finished product, because not only will the 1g live on as king of the roads, but king of the skies.

I have been planning/working on this build for about a month now, and I already have several manilla folders full of research, blue prints, legal papers, specifications, etc on how I am going to do this. Most of the people that I called were laughing at this idea, but I am true believer in this project, and I will not stop until my car flies.

---

A few days ago I attempted to contact the FAA regarding some questions about my 1g. Unfortunately, I did not reach them during business hours, and I haven't had time to call back yet.

So I started planning the exterior modifications. There are some things I am a little worried about though. My 1g was in a major collision a few years ago and the frame is all bent up, so I hope that doesn't affect the performance of the flight? Not really sure, I guess I am just going to have to wait and see. One thing I hope is that the 1g passive rear steering will help stabilize the car when I land, but that will all be taken care of in testing phases. I have another question (I know people are going to make fun of me for this, but please, don't hate, I just am asking for help), but my 1g's front bumper is zip-tied on (but I zip tied it on real good). Do you think it will flop around in the wind when I am flying the car? It stays pretty sturdy when I shake it with my hand, but I figured maybe someone on here is good with aerodynamics and such. Either way, I plan on booking some time in a wind tunnel for some testing and whatnot. Luckily, my friends grandfather has been an X-ray technician for most of his life, and he knows some people that are connected with people that run a wind tunnel test facility, so I have somewhat of a hook up.

Anyways, as I said, pardon my crude illustration, but I don't have CAD yet, so my MS paint will have to do, but these are just to give you a basic idea. Now after some research, the 1g is made of galvanized steel panels. So I will be welding on the wings to each side of the car. I am not sure yet of the exact wingspan, as I need to get in touch with a few more people and conduct a few more tests. Also, I need to talk to my welder guy and make sure he can do it. His welds are a little nasty but they get the job done (he uses a harbor freight unit, but he's getting good with it). But this should give you a basic idea of what it will look like.

Dunno about you, but this looks BADASS to me. I want the exterior of the car to remain pretty much stock appearing for the most part except for the wings. I want people to think, "oh look, an old eclipse", and then they see the wings and realize its a plane. These kind of thoughts are what really motivate me to get this project on its feet.

As far as test sites for the 1g "plane", I was thinking of paying homage to the Wright Brothers and trailering the car down to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina for its first flight, but then I realized that a more appropriate (and closer) test site would be the Normal, Illinois Mitsubishi plant. I still need to get in contact with them and see if I can rent there test track for my car's first flight, but something tells me they will be honored. But, this is the least of my worries right now, I need to get the plane/car finished first.

It's going to be a LONG year, because as you know, building a plane is no easy task. I have to deal with hydraulics, electronics, linkages, mechanical areas, aerodynamics, etc.

Please don't try talking me out of this, because I have already made up my mind, and I am too far into this whole thing to back out now. I have too many plans and ideas to give up. If your just going to say my idea is stupid, please don't post.

As you can see, there are A LOT of areas I still need to attend to, and I plan on creating a blog on this site to show the progress, as I believe that I am the first person to do something like this. Please give me your thoughts, opinions, comments, ideas, sketches, ANYTHING to help me.

Last edited:
:ohdamn:.......:hellyeah:.........:confused:

:aha:.............WTF..................:hmm:........................:confused:..................................................ROFL.....................ROFL....................................ROFL.......ROFL......ROFL...ROFL

never gonna happen they can't even make a rear lip for the 2g you want to fly in your 1g... Go back to the attic hit that crack pipe so hard that you pass out and fall down bang your head fall asleep and in your dreams after all that MAYBE you will be flying in your 1g. LOL..... No but serious now good luck can't wait to see it done have a great year with your project and i hope i can take a ride in it one day i was just playing around with what i wrote above this so take it as a joke i hope it made you laugh :thumb:

At first I was like... WTF

Then I was like... :ohdamn:

But then I went... :hmm:

And finally I was like... ROFL

i hope this is a joke. and baggage handlers are gonna be experienced enough in air plane design? my head hurts now

Surplus Parachutes - Military Parachutes

There are so many factors/variables to consider when doing this. I'm sorry but CAD/mspaint drawings cannot replace the actual engineering involved in constructing a plane. You will need a lot of drag/lift to actually get your 1g to fly. Serious weight reduction will be needed, you would need some kind of propeller to fly, better suspension for landings, completely different front clip for viewing landings (unless you want to go in blind). Ailerons, rudder etc. I am doubtful that the FAA will allow you to fly in a 1g. The 1g body is not ideal for flying, it's too wide. Most smaller planes (e.g. Cessna) have slender bodies. You can always make up a model and not fly, just drive around in a plar.

At first I thought this was a joke at first, then I realized that you were serious. If you are going to try it good luck man.. but I just dont want you to get your hopes up thinking this is going to work because I doubt it will ever work.

I wouldn't like being in an eclipse which is suspended by the doors, even if it were stationary. The door hinges barely hold on the doors well enough. Plus, it'll never fly with steel wings. Far too heavy. There's a reason all airplanes are made of aluminum (or CF). You'll basicly need to build a huge, ultra-stong, ultra-lite aircraft, and bolt it to the roof. How about a twin tail-boom setup, coming off the wings, with a VW engine mounted in the trunk, driving a pusher-prop?

It would need to have a 90ft. wingspan to lift that over-weight pile of steel into the sky, but then you could fly around in your 1G "cockpit".

BTW, the 1G cockpit wasn't designed to look like a jet plane. The entire interior was lifted, hook, line, and sinker, from the late-80's BMW 840/850. Every single detail was 100%, directly, lifted straight from that car, right down to the way the back-seat trim panels overlap the trunk trim panels and are held down with 3 push-clips in the rear quarter window. Really. Check one out. The entire car is a cheap-ass mass-market imitation of that particular BMW. Look it up.

I still wouldn't drive anything else, though.

I don't think your on crack. I think that only LSD could keep you that high for long enough to think that this is a good idea. You'll have to sawz-all out 90% of the car's sheet-metal to get it light enough to fly. I'm not hatin, but you'll need really deep pockets to see this through. I'd settle for the BMW. Ummmm...V-12:D

Looks like april fools came a little early and everyone's falling for it...

Actually if you shape the wings the right way, you could probably at least get airborne if you go fast enough.

Oh sweet. Somebody with visions similar to mine. Just wait until you see my GVR4 submarine, complete with real torpedoes.

IBstupidjoke

I thought you had a red 2ga?

I just saw this rock....whoever designed it must have intended it to be an airplane. Just look at the lines!

Anyone know where i can have wings made for it?

I have had many people say that when they ride in my car it feels like an airplane..although I would have never expected anyone attempting this. The new trend of flying dsm's ahahaha

At first I was like... WTF

Then I was like... :ohdamn:

But then I went... :hmm:

And finally I was like... ROFL

Thats hilarious your post says it all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back