The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Completed AWD Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unior said:
oh god no!!!

i think a tcase alone is 1200 MSRP OMG OMG

That's probably pretty close. I think the gsx tranny and transfer case alone would come near $3500 between the two of them.

MarkDML said:
There is a 1g eclipse/ talon that was recently converted to a rwd in sddsm... they even have a video with this kid burning rubber on it ... it was so cool how he did that ...

anyway ...

I think rwd is kind of a hassle coz you have to know welding and stuffs...

but it could be done

Later

:dsm: Mark DM L :dsm:

He didn't really do a RWD conversion, just temporarly having fun w/ broken parts.

it all started when my rear diff. started to take a crap, i knew it was going to go some day because of the clicking from the rear spider gears, anyway i decided to take one of my 15 trannys laying around and build a temporary rwd tranny to blow up my rear diff. So i took my tranny apart and welded one side of the center diff, took out the viscous coupling and took out 2 of the spider gears and the one side gear that drove the front diff. i also ended taking out the front diff. (not nesscary). put all that back together and used two frost plugs to block off the front axle holes in the tranny case and put stub shafts threw the front wheel bearing to hold the preload on the bearings. Then i called my friend and told him to grab the camera and lets go blow up my rear diff. so anyways it lasted about a week. it was damn fun until i had to tow it home!

Bastard1g said:
Anyone feel like pricing out an awd conversion if you bought brand new parts? Brand new transfer case,tranny,driveshaft,rear end, axles, control arms ect...?

Sure, it's called an EVO.

Its alot more fun when you do the 4g63 awd conversion into a dodge avenger! just need a bit longer driveshaft, and a few custom tid bits along the way :D

i've got your 4 bolt rear outta a 95 gsx

$400 obo - cup to cup :)

Bastard1g said:
Anyone feel like pricing out an awd conversion if you bought brand new parts? Brand new transfer case,tranny,driveshaft,rear end, axles, control arms ect...?

That is an asinine question… Why would anyone EVER want to do this?

It will literally cost you 10 times more to do it with new, dealer parts and some body parts (that are welded to the AWD underbelly) will not be available from dealer at any cost.

GRNDSM said:
That is an asinine question… Why would anyone EVER want to do this?

It will literally cost you 10 times more to do it with new, dealer parts and some body parts (that are welded to the AWD underbelly) will not be available from dealer at any cost.

Yea, well thats is what will make an awd swap impossible for me. I dont think I will ever see an awd 2g parted out in florida, so I might as well invest in some slicks and an lsd.

If I ever come across a 2G gsx that's totaled or something and someone wants to get rid of it for about $1000 I'll jump on it. I'd love to do that sometime. Good job on the install.

Bastard1g said:
Yea, well thats is what will make an awd swap impossible for me. I dont think I will ever see an awd 2g parted out in florida, so I might as well invest in some slicks and an lsd.

You aren't getting it are you... look for one that some dumbass wrapped around a telephone pole... or one that's been flooded.... do you have ANY idea how much I would give to be in FL sometimes because of all the good deals I've found on DSM's out there? There's TONS of them in FL, Jersey, New York and Texas... go find a WHOLE CAR, wrecked is fine... THEN you can do your AWD conversion... doing it piece by piece will cost you an arm and a leg.... on the other hand, if you want to buy mine, the price is $4000 and you pay shipping... it'll be about another $1000.... so for the price of the rear diff, and the tranny I'll let you have my '95 GSX that's been rear-ended... but I guarantee you can find one cheaper in FL... or find one in new york, fly up there, rent a U-Haul and trailer, and drive it home... it's not *that* long of a drive

Bastard1g said:
Depending on how my insurance deal goes, I may part mine out. It's a 1997 GSX, and I'm in Florida.

SilenceEvolves said:
Depending on how my insurance deal goes, I may part mine out. It's a 1997 GSX, and I'm in Florida.

Let me know about that. I might be intrested. I used to live in boca, off of 441 and glades.

FireyIce01 said:
You aren't getting it are you... look for one that some dumbass wrapped around a telephone pole... or one that's been flooded.... do you have ANY idea how much I would give to be in FL sometimes because of all the good deals I've found on DSM's out there? There's TONS of them in FL, Jersey, New York and Texas... go find a WHOLE CAR, wrecked is fine... THEN you can do your AWD conversion... doing it piece by piece will cost you an arm and a leg.... on the other hand, if you want to buy mine, the price is $4000 and you pay shipping... it'll be about another $1000.... so for the price of the rear diff, and the tranny I'll let you have my '95 GSX that's been rear-ended... but I guarantee you can find one cheaper in FL... or find one in new york, fly up there, rent a U-Haul and trailer, and drive it home... it's not *that* long of a drive

Where do you find these deals? Im stationed in Camp Lejeuene.

i got all the part's for my conversion for $1,000.00 the reason why i am doing the conversion is i blew up my stock front wheel tranny and that tranny is a 1000.00 used from the junkyard so why not. donor car only has 70K and i new the driver

wow a thousand for a used tranny? The most that I have ever seen them sold for around here and dsmtrader usually go for about 600-700 max.

RamenPride said:
yeah, not only is the drivetrain different, but so is the engine!! a 2G NT to 4G63T swap isn't a very good idea by itself to begin with.

How about a 2G NT - Evo swap + AWD ?

chowda633 said:
Where do you find these deals? Im stationed in Camp Lejeuene.

Ebay, Autotrader, DSM Trader, The classifieds here.... there was a LOT of them on ebay after all the hurricanes.. I've since got myself a GSX, so I stopped looking.. but there's always like 2+ pages of eclipses on ebay.

tsunari said:
How about a 2G NT - Evo swap + AWD ?

If you can get this figured out, I would love to see an EVO iX (coming out in december) motor in a 2G :thumb:

Eclipsei95cl said:
wow a thousand for a used tranny? The most that I have ever seen them sold for around here and dsmtrader usually go for about 600-700 max.

for a good tranny ya in California about $1000.00 unless you get it of the internet or from some one you no. but from a wrecking yard with a warranty about $1000.00 but why go back to the front wheel I will just blow it up again and if I want to billed the tranny so it can handle the power it will cost me about 2500.00 so I am just going to convert to all wheel. it will be no problem just some labor at my shop..

Dang it sucks for the price people have been wanting to pay for an awd. I'm going to college in a redneck sort of town and they don't know the first thing about dsms. Just payed for a 95 tsi awd 5spd to either convert my 95 GST to awd or fix and drive, all for the low low price of $500. If I can't get it to run for cheap, it turns into a parts car and awd swap for mine and body parts for my girlfriends 95 tsi awd. Win win situation for $500.

ok wanted to know what i needed, like pictures. i am going to look at a tsi soon and want to know what exactly i would need to take off

and yeah i am resurrecting this thread

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back