The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Completed AWD Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Congrats on having the balls to do it. With all those parts, where did the GSX go that donated those parts?.

I guess, you can call me a “hater” if you so desire, but the supply of GSXs is still abundant. An average price of a stock ’95 GSX is now around $4000-$5000 (or roughly the cost of this conversion + parts, if you have someone else do it). In most cases, FWD cars are only $500-$1000 cheaper. If you are lucky, you are going to spend at least that much on the parts and never mind the labor!

As for ease of conversion that is relative... And assuming that you have access to a welder, what would happen if you are 1/8”-1/4” off in welding-in that driveshaft support?

Jacob, I am sorry if I missed this, but have you driven your car in AWD, yet?

Leon

Perhaps I missed this but is your car a spyder or hardtop? I think a 2g spyder is worth doing this mod to since awd spyders were never released, however doing it to a hard top is dumb since as stated before you can just sell the gst and buy a gsx for less money and it would be a factory setup. Congrats on the good work either way.

GRNDSM said:
An average price of a stock ’95 GSX is now around $4000-$5000 (or roughly the cost of this conversion + parts, if you have someone else do it). In most cases, FWD cars are only $500-$1000 cheaper. If you are lucky, you are going to spend at least that much on the parts and never mind the labor!

Exactly. I could see this to be worth doing in a spyder, but unless you're REALLY attached to your FWD or have access to an AWD wreck with all the parts intact, it's still not worthwhile doing.

GRNDSM said:
I guess, you can call me a “hater” if you so desire, but the supply of GSXs is still abundant. An average price of a stock ’95 GSX is now around $4000-$5000 (or roughly the cost of this conversion + parts, if you have someone else do it). In most cases, FWD cars are only $500-$1000 cheaper. If you are lucky, you are going to spend at least that much on the parts and never mind the labor!

I guess the issue with a lot of people is that they have perfectly running FWD's and would rather have AWD. A 95 GSX is 9 years old, and I know I would hate to get rid of my good condition FWD and end up with an AWD POS

jab-619 said:
WOW. Good job. Now try it with a 1g.

The same conversion on a a 1g is much more complicated since the rear suspensions are completely different. At least on a 2g both front and all wheel drive cars have independent rear suspension. RRE converted a couple fwd turbo's to awd back in the day for rally use and they decided in the end that it just wasn't worth the time and money spent as compared to buying an awd. Besides, you're awd anyways, I should be the one asking him to do it :D

Just to clear some things up:

My car is a hardtop and the reason that I opted to swap rather than sell and buy is pretty simple. In my car, I have done a 6-bolt swap, installed an FMIC, oil cooler, added a bunch of ducting, cut up the bumper, and worked on the interior. Now in all honestly, I would have spent just as much time as a drivetrain swap doing all of this AGAIN to a new car. Not to mention I would have to scrounge up all the factory pieces to my GST to get it running again in decent form to sell.

Also, as far as the alignment on the driveshaft, on the brackets of the driveshaft that bolt to the car, there aren't holes, there are slots. My guess is that this is to allow for factory tolernaces when assembly the chassis. So you have pretty good compensation for an alignment error there. If you REALLY screwed up, there is play in all the joints of the driveshaft as well.

GRNDSM said:
Why do you guys even care about mileage? Most serious 2G’s get converted to 6 bolt and with AWD conversion, you will most likely use high mileage donor car drivetrain. So what will still have "low mileage"? The front spindles?

You are guys are still not making much sense ;).

I'm personally not looking to buy a GSX or convert to AWD. I'm just trying to play both sides of the fence :thumb: besides, if I wanted AWD I'd probably just go with a 1G anyway

So this is possible huh? If i could get the parts up, I might do it in the next 6 months. Would you come down to florida to help with mine? ;)

RamenPride said:
I personally am not looking to buy an AWD. besides, a low mileage 7 year old car isn't easy to find. i guess it depends on what your definitino of low mileage is.

mine had 44000 on it when I got it 2 years ago. I've seen other ones with around 50000 - 60000 as well. But you are right, they aren't something you can find anyday.

does anyone have a lead on a stock 2g gsx? I'm kind of intrested in the price, and if I can't find one I'll more than likely have to go with the swap. I only have a 99gs now and I'm starting a new job and tripleing my weekly income so I'll have money to burn. any leads?

DeMuro1 said:
does anyone have a lead on a stock 2g gsx? I'm kind of intrested in the price, and if I can't find one I'll more than likely have to go with the swap. I only have a 99gs now and I'm starting a new job and tripleing my weekly income so I'll have money to burn. any leads?

Boy, I hope this just a bad joke...

My rating of AWD conversions:

GS/GST Spyder – very good idea, you end up with a kick-a$$ convertible (NT vs. turbo not a major factor, because they both use Mitsu engines)
GST/TSI Coupe – not a very good idea, but doable if you are a skillful mechanic/fabricator and have an unhealthy attachment to your FWD car
GS/RS – Completely OUT OF YOUR MIND! (or just clueless…)

GRNDSM said:
Boy, I hope this just a bad joke...

GS/RS – Completely OUT OF YOUR MIND! (or just clueless…)

yeah, not only is the drivetrain different, but so is the engine!! a 2G NT to 4G63T swap isn't a very good idea by itself to begin with.

So how much did the swap cost you in total. I have a 97 gst spyder and have been lookign in to doing the swap my self and I almost have the donor car locked down for under two grand and its the same year as mine. If I do end up doing it it will be done by the end of the year depending on ho wmuch free time I can get, Oh and how long did the swap take in cluding the trannny and wiring of the parts.

But aside all that great job on the write up Im going to start looking into mine soon now that I have an Idea on what to do.

I have heard from some people that when you convert a spyder to AWd the car rides like shit from what i hear that is. Plus a spyder is heavy enough and with awd it will be even heavier. I mean when you think about it why didnt Mitsu make a Spyder GSX to begin with then?

Also keep in mind that after you do the swap you will have alot of FWD parts for sale like the trans so you can make some money back on most of the stuff.

it adds about 2 to 3 hundred lbs to the weight of the car making it about 500 lbs heavyer than the coupe gsx. And it would the most unique mod around. also add a light weight roll cage and you can re move some of the extra bracing that they put in the spyder that will help the weight issue some.

Also if I do do it Im a coplete donor car I can part it out after I m done and recoope some of the money invested And I know my friend SilverMitsu GST wants to do a manual swap to his car so he would end up getting most of the stuff from me.

how is the converted gst driving now? any feedback would be great

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back