The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Clutch feels loose and wont go in gear when started

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vishnu267

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2011
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
hey guys i need some advice, so today i went to start my car and my clutch felt very loose. so i started driving the car and figured maybe it was just me. soon down the line i noticed the car would barly go into gear and i had to force it. so i pulled over and noticed that all my clutch fluid was gone and the resivoir looked empty. so i went to a nearby pep boys to buy the brake fluid. i got pennzoil dot3 brake fluid. i put the fluid in and it seem to ease a tad bit and stuff but as i kept driving and trying to shift it seemed to be that it didnt really even get better. so i noticed that when the car is turned off it will go right into all gears with no problem at all but when the car is started and i step on the clutch it wont go into gear unless i force it or start the car in a gear already. so does this mean that i definatly need a new clutch? or a flywheel? or what? ### let me know asap what u guys think! thanks
when i step on the clutch it will go down but it feels so loose almost as if theres no springs or anything in it but the petal does come back up when i take my foot off of the clutch

I have exactly this problem aswell at this moment. On a cold start it will go into any gear, After the car warms up it will start grinding and eventually wont go into any gear unless i force it or it feels like it. My pedal feels very soft.... Any solutions from anyone?

yeah i know what u mean and the advice i got was to first things first check and make sure u have clutch fluid in the resivior, then bleed the line to get all the air out of the system and it should be better. if not, then u either have to change ## master cylinder or ## slave cylinder. i bleed my line and it got better for awhile and then it started doing it again so idk but i think it might be my master cylinder or i might have a hydrolic leak

I've had the same issue lately, but I'm not leaking any fluid at all and my reservoir is full. I replaced the slave cylinder and bled the lines recently and it fixed the problem for a little while, and now it has showed up again. But if i pump my clutch pedal a few times, it glides into gear like butter! any thoughts?

Ive had the exact same problem with my 95' gsx!!! when the cars cold it goes into gear just fine and dandy but the clutch pedal feels "mushy" and once the car heats up it doesnt want to go into gear and you have to force it in and it will do a slight grind when you put it in gear.. I just replaced the slave cylinder and bleed the clutch but it still does the same thing..? there is a slight drip by my clutch pedal and ive had a few dsm guys tell me i need a maste r cylinder as well? could that be the problem were all having? :hmm:

Okay, first thing to do is check your fluid and see if its full, after that check for any leaks around the clutch master cylinder, line, slave cylinder and even inside your car at the top of your clutch pedal. From what you have said i'm guessing you have a leak in one of those places, if not try bleeding your clutch and see how that turns out

Ive just replaced the slave cylinder and its holding fluid.. and up by the top of the clutch pedal there is a slight drip that my dad seen when he was taking a look up there.. and i had bleed the clutch and still no luck im almost positive my master cylinder is bad

hmm im wondering the same thing so maybe the problem is the master cylinder and not the slave cylinder or is it recommended to just change them both? my fluid is a really dirtyish blackish looking color, what does that mean?

but the fluid cant be old because remember the resevoir was completly empty and i put new fluid in it and bleed the master cylinder so idk exactly but the fluid was new fluid that wasnt even 2 weeks old

My res was full, even after sitting there for a month i checked it still at the same spot. I looked under the dash and saw white sticky fluid on the master. So im going to replace the master/slave/clutch/clutchline in a few weeks gotta order the parts tomorrow. Ill check back and tell you what it was for my car.

what no one suggested here you can also try to adjust the clutch see if that helps

Alright here is what my problem was my clutch fork was bent. So definitively take a look at that, also see if your slave cylinder screws are lose!
P.S Clutch fork is broken in picture because tried to bend it back for shits and giggles and it snapped LOL
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

oh wow thats crazy man mine was a simple fix it was just my clutch master cylinder so i was lucky my trans and all that didnt have to come down. i changed my clutch master cylinder and since then the car ran great and gave no issues with the shifting at all since then

Was your master cylinder leaking externally? Im having the same problem, my car stop going into gear when it gets up to operating temp

sounds like the master. check for a leak inside the car at the top of the clutch pedal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back