The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Cast or forged?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchablecc

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2008
Mt. pleasant, Pennsylvania
Hey guys I am currently playing around with some ideas and I wanted some advise on what other dsmers think on this. I am currently driving around a stock 6bolt all original with an hx35/bep and bc 272s. I am going to be switching to an hy35 going full t3 and going to build my own downpipe. The current engine is pretty worn out, 120 psi across the board mostly. I also smoke on a deceleration so I intend to do an engine in the near future but I wanted to see what route you guys think I should go.

I have a friend with a fully assembled 6 bolt engine with 2g pistons and 1g rods, arp studs, bse. Nothing crazy but definetly a good street engine for a daily like mine. I have been debating on building the bare 6 bolt I have sitting in my shed and doing a eagle wiseco combo so I don't have to worry about killing a short block or going with my friends engine. I don't want to have a ton of money sunk into a bottom end just to drive it every day but I am shooting for 450 whp-500. I dont want to max out the hy35 but I plan to run 80% of what it can do to keep it safe. SO what do you guys think? Is the 1g 2g combo enough to support my goal or should I dig a little deeper?

Just to complicate things for you guys, I also have a 2g magnus intake but no 2g heads, but I thought running the street intake on a 2g head with at least 8:5.1 compression would make for a really nice street car.

The least you want to do if you do build the spare block is get it honed. I was in the same dilema on my build and ended up going with the wiseco/eagle combo.

You said 450-500whp. While you can do that on the 1g pistons with 2g rods, it might put the mind at ease knowing that your bottom end is built specifically to handle that kind of power, especially being a daily driver. Plus, theres always that point where you might say...man this is kinda boring, I want to push it a little more and see what I can get out of it. Just would have to factor in the possible machine work, unless of course you know someone that can do it, or you yourself have the correct tools.

I suppose my two cents would be to build the spare block and be set for future endeavors :thumb:. Good luck on the build!

I agree with Mickey! Sure a good oem rebuilt would be able to handle around 400whp but for some extra cost and no extra labor (doing things twice if stock one rebuild blows), might as well go fully forged. I went that route with Wiesco/Manly and it's a great thing to know you have that extra cussion.

Its a dropkick: i agree with above posts. Go forged on the bottom. No need for an eagle crank or anything though. Stock crank will work fine. ACL race bearings, ARP hardware...you know the drill yadayadayada

And since youre in there a little porting to the head wouldnt hurt. It'll pay off, you will want more power, we all do eventually.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back